Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Active Pup

Default Bones

Well i give my dog a bone once in a while "i make sure he cant eat any big chunks or break it apart" but after intense chewing he can get tiny little peices out and eat them.. this wouldent harm my dog would it? i know dogs eating bones can cause problems but thats only if they can break off huge chunks right? i mean these peices are very small.. like pebble sizes and well iuno how else to describ them at the most there half a centimeter in diameter
Old 07-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Top Dog

The bones are Raw?
I wouldn't allow Bailey to literally eat chunks off of the Bone.........I will take them if i see him doing this.
Wasn't it your little one that swallowed a Pork chop bone a while ago?? If so, how was the outcome of that??

Thanks BP
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

You should only feed raw meaty bones such as marrow bones etc. I hope you aren't giving him cooked bones cuz those can be deadly
Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 AM
RedyreRottweilers

My dogs eat a lot of bones. Chicken bones, pork bones, beef bones, certain turkey bones.

All raw.

Raw bones are good for dogs (in moderation combined with an all around healthy diet, of course).
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Top Dog

theres absolutly nothing wrong with giving him RAW bones.. unlike cooked or steamed bones, Raw bones are pliable and will not splinter when chewed..they are very good for dogs
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Rusty but Trusty

well what if they start to eat them? Hannah will actually eat the whole bone if we don't take them away.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:58 PM
overdogged

my dogs get raw marrow bones for recreation (as well as being sporadically raw-fed). they will break pieces of the marrow bones off- just small ones- and swallow them sometimes. once in awhile somebody'll puke some up on the carpet- bone bits and bile. interestingly, the bone pieces are very rubbery when they come back up. rather gross, but also reassuring.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Quigleyfied

It shouldn't be a problem at all if you

1. stay away from weightbearing bones of large animals (e.g. the "O" shaped slices of marrow bones you find in little trays at the grocery store) and
2. don't feed larger bones that have potential to come apart "bare" but with the meat still on them (e.g. turkey wings and drumsticks, lamb shanks) or after a meal so that there's something in the stomach that acts as a "padding" until the stomach acid can do its job.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
It shouldn't be a problem at all if you

1. stay away from weightbearing bones of large animals (e.g. the "O" shaped slices of marrow bones you find in little trays at the grocery store) and
2. don't feed larger bones that have potential to come apart "bare" but with the meat still on them (e.g. turkey wings and drumsticks, lamb shanks) or after a meal so that there's something in the stomach that acts as a "padding" until the stomach acid can do its job.

Wait, so dogs CAN eat the raw bones or should you try not to have them eat them. Hannah gets the nature's variety ham bones and occasionally she will get all the meat off and if we don't take the bone away instead of just chewing on it she will actually start eating it!

Old 07-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Top Dog

A ham bone is a cooked bone, you don't want her to eat that. Raw bones are fine, even if they eat pieces. We feed our guys beef short ribs as part of their meal, and they will eat all the meat off and then work on the bones. Once they get real small I take them away so they don't swallow them whole. We also feed pork ribs a lot. Gunnar will get a section of 3-4 ribs (maybe 2lbs total). He starts at one end and works his way to the other, eating bones and meat together. Same goes for pork shoulder bones, he might get a 2-3lb chunk of pork with the bone in it, and he'll eat the entire thing bone and all.

I will also attest to noticing that if someone pukes up a piece of bone, it is always rubbery feeling. Those stomach juices are really strong- naturally designed for dissolving bones.