Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

Default noisey night

We live on the very edge of town, last street in town. Our back yard is next to farmland. Acrossed the field behind us is a group of trees which seems to be home to coyotes. We've heard the coyotes back there for years, as long as I've been here. Certain times of the year we can hear the babies, thats a creepy sound if you ask me. A few times thru the summer it will sound like the entire pack running acrossed the field behind us. Thats enough to give you chills! Sounds like we are all under attack.
Last night Princess was out back barking. Wouldnt stop. Took both me and my husband to get her in. There was an owl in a tree next door. First time in all my years living here have I heard an owl here. The coyotes were barking and being noisey. Dogs all around the neighborhood barking. We finally got Princess to come in and we wouldnt let her go out anymore that night. To noisey outside. Ok, my question. All thru the spring and summer we will go nights without hearing the coyotes. Other nights they are extremly noisey. My question: if they are being noisey, is it more likely that some of the pack are out on the prowl or are they more likely to be out when all is quiet? When we first opened our shop, we worked very late hours. Often we'd walk outside just in time to see a coyote cross the yard heading towards his pack. What I dont know is if the pack was noisey on those nights. Does anyone know?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Felurian

They're communicating that way. Sometimes finding prey, sometimes sharing a kill or a scavenge with the rest of the pack. Spring comes and there are mating calls going out, challenges, just spring fever, etc.

One thing I do know for sure is that where there are coyote dens it is no place for a pet to be outside after dusk unsupervised! They'll even come after larger dogs as a pack; one or two will hold the back legs, one will hold the nose and one will make the kill. This is a big reason we have Filas and not Aussies or one of the other herding breeds. You have to figure that anything bred to hunt jaguar isn't going to be terribly vulnerable to coyotes.

Just don't let Princess go out at night without one of you right there with her! You'd never forgive yourself if a coyote snatched her. They're losing their fear of humans as well, living in such close proximity to us.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Top Dog

Maybe I need you to come visit me with your dogs for a weekend! Let your dogs go chase the coyotes away!
My kids use to want to walk back to those trees to play and would get so mad at me because I wouldnt allow it. They said I was being silly, coyotes are scared of people! Thing was, from what I was seeing their fear was leaving so its nice to hear you say they are losing their fear of people. Sometimes I even started to question myself, thinking maybe I was being a paranoid mother. What I was guilty of, is thinking that as long as we had a fence a dog would be safe from them. But even last night after we got Princess in and she wanted to go back out, I said I'm not letting her back out, to much going on out there tonight. My husband said no, she needed to stay in, coyotes can go over the fence if they want. Makes me that much more scared of my back yard! Just never know what is going to come out of that field. lol, its real creepy when the farmer plants corn. Privacy fence on both sides, just the chain link fence to the back. All you see is corn, the wind blows moving the corn around, CREEPY! I'm not one for watching spooky movies but always makes me think of the children of the corn! My husband thinks we'd enjoy a hottub out back, just dont know how relaxing that would be on the years they plant corn.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Felurian

Maybe if you had one of those hot tubs in the enclosures? Those are so much nicer; you can use them all year and in all weather.

The really scary coyotes are the ones that are breeding with stray dogs. You've gotta figure that a dog that gets a chance to breed a coyote - fighting his way through the male coyotes - is one big, bad dog. Those half-breeds are the worst. I've seen a couple dead on the road (another sign they are losing their innate fear of man) that probably weighed 70 pounds.

A neighbor in a farm two fields over was saying that he's bringing his male Rottie in at night now instead of letting him sleep outside in his kennel. The dog used to want to stay outside to guard, but they heard him raising cain one night and there were five or so coyotes trying to get to him under the kennel fence! It had been a very cold, bleak couple of weeks and they were hungry and looking for an easy meal - one they wouldn't have to chase.

Bimmer's got enough wolf in him to positively HATE coyotes. Three winters ago, when we had our Buffy, it was a bad, bad winter and the coyotes were getting brave enough to come near the house. I walked outside just before dusk when I heard Bimmer barking to call Buffy. He was heading across the pasture after a coyote! He's smart enough not to go by himself, so he was calling for Buffy. They had a system worked out - he'd go check and let her know if she needed to come, lol. Just as he got near a ridge, a second coyote showed himself. They were trying to get him to follow and then pack up on him! Buffy went flying. They didn't see her coming for a few seconds, but when they saw her you should have seen them scatter, howling with fear as they went. One hundred and thirty pounds of enraged Fila coming at warp speed is a bit much. Buffy and Bimmer stopped at the top of the ridge and threw back their heads and howled at the coyotes, then turned around and trotted back as soon as I called them.

You're not being paranoid - you're being smart!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-16-2005, 10:59 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Sometimes ignorance is bliss...when i lived on the farm eons ago..i had a big cat, a little dog SCamper and Charlie. We heard the coyotes every night..and i got to where l appriciated their music..never knew they were a threat to anything..ran into more than one at night when i would go out for water. WE would suprise each other and both jump at the same time..then i swear after awhile we just said excuse me and went upon our business. For once i am glad i didn't know!