Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Default Any rabbit owners?

So I'm considering rescuing a bunny from a local shelter and just wondering if any of you here have experiences with them. How well do they do with dogs? And of course, do you have any favorite breeds amongst them? My boyfriend is going to kill me now - as if 2 dogs, 3 turtles, 2 tanks of fishes, and 2 frogs weren't enough.. LOL.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Island dweller

I used to. Their relationship with dogs really depends on the rabbit, the dog and how they are introduced and if they are raised together. You'll never be able to leave them unsupervised together though.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

I have 2 bunns.. Bigwig and Blackavar.
They are both males.. Bigwig is a lop cross and Blackavar is a Flemish Giant cross.
The most important thing I can say about bunns is before getting one (or 2 ideally.. for the bunn sake) is that they really aren't that cuddly, if that's what you're looking for.. and they can be very distructive!
I keep my two as free range bunns in a room where they're litter trained.. they still sometimes poo and pee over the floor and they like to chew on the walls regardless of how many other things there are to chew..
They are both neutered which is very important health wise for the bunns and temperment wise for you
My bunns get along fine with the dog, cats and rats that I have, but they were all raised together so it'd probably be best to get a young rabbit if you can. And like Saje said, never leave them alone unsupervised.
And just cause they're cute here's a pic!
This was about a year ago.. Blackavar was only a baby then.. he's about 3 times as big as Bigwig now!

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 AM
Active Pup

Default pet grooming

AUSSIE PET MOBILE offers a convenient, affordable, reliable and efficient service to pet owners to maintain and achieve their pets' best well being. We use environmentally friendly products and bring a highly organized professional approach to mobile grooming.

We pride ourselves on our innovative pet mobile design, heated hydrobath, and our Aussie Pet Mobile grooming service which assures a complete and comfortable experience for each pet www.aussiepetmobile.com
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

I own 2 rabbits a mini-lop cross and a Velvet Dwarf (similar to the rex coat). They are litter trained and have free range wehn supervised. The dog can't be around them unless she is on a leash. The bunnies wouldn't hurt the dog it would be vise versa in most cases.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 AM
Big Dog

Don't ever keep rabbits around dogs unsupervised, and never around hyper dogs.

Rabbits are extremely fragile.....

My 31 yr old brother was visiting her a couple of weeks ago, we have the basment designated for rabbits and rodents (Which is where I spend most of my time)

The door stays closed, and no visitors are allowed down there, but he not only ignored that rule, but he brought his dog in.

His dog proceeded to kill my rabbit.

All his dog did was "bow" to play and then paw at him, that is all it took for a harsh neurological problem, my poor boy died the next day at the vet.
- I was not there. If I had been the dog would have been out of there in a split second and my brother getting an earful. Now because of his stupidity, him and his dog are never allowed around here again.

It is never okay to leave any predator animal unsupervised near any prey animal, and never okay with cats, and again, never okay supervised with dogs who want to play with other animals.

I posted in your other thread under fire hydrant about a good website with rabbit info and a good rabbit forum; At least I'm pretty sure it was your thread
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Cats&Dogs r what I live 4

I own two rabbits
Old 07-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Cats&Dogs r what I live 4

Forgot to post about your ?!
I never have mine out in the same room as the dogs, I wouldn't do that.
I have them in a room and shut the doors then put them back in they're cage. They are excellent pets!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:26 AM
:]

I have a houserabbit called Pippa who lives in my room :]
Although I never leave her unsupervised with Holly, my dog, Holly loves her and licks her loads - something Pippa doesnt like very much but she climbs over Holly.

However instinct does take over alot, like when my old rabbit Rosie was in the garden, when i took advantage of my sister tking Holly for a walk. WHen she came back instead of taking her into the house on her lead, she'd taken her off her lead at the gate, and Holly rushed in & ran after Rosie. Although neither of THEM were hurt, I suffered quite alot of bruises after tackling Holly to the ground!
[ However, the fact that Hollys a westie & therefore a ratter probably wouldnt help. ]

But I don't see any reason, if introduced under a controlled atmosphere, why you shouldn't allow your rabbit & dog to see eachother :]

Oh & good idea about rescue homes. I got my rabbit from a pet shop, but I now know better. My sister got her rabbit Eric from a rescue center & he's an absolute angel! You also might even be able to find a rabbit thats already spayed.
Good luck!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I had a rabbit once many years ago. During that time I had two dogs. The rabbits were in what I thought to be a secure cage in the yard.

Well the dogs were let out to potty on this particular day and within an hour they had ripped a hole thru the wood and wire and got inside the cage dragged the poor bunny out and killed him. I have always felt so guilty about it. I will never own another rabbit.

All the dogs I have experience with have a strong prey drive for rabbits. Since I will always have dogs... I will never have another rabbit. I know others have had success, but it's just not for me.

On the other hand the same two dogs got along great with a ferret. They even ate from the same food bowls.