Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Question Plott Hounds

Ok we have been getting quiet a few of these dogs! I have never heard of them before I saw one (well two) at the shelter about 6 months ago. Since then I've seen quiet a few! I mean not as common as labs, but what I can remember there have been 5 pure bred ones and about two mixes. Are they really even considered a breed?

I really don't know much about this breed.....all the ones I've seen where brindle, but I read they can come in slate blue and buckskin. Also they all seemed to be high energy, and vocal lol but they didn't really have a hound like deep howl thing. All the ones I've met where a bit wild and untrained, but I'm assuming that's due to lack of training.

Really my question is has anyone met a Plott hound and how common are they? Any first hand experience with them is appreciated
Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I have heard of them but never seen one

http://www.akc.org/breeds/plott/index.cfm
Old 07-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Thanks jesse....I did a google search, but I'm looking for more first hand experience with the breed
Old 07-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Plotts are pretty common in WV, whether bred for big game or coon.
From a few first meetings with me, I think they have qualities very similar to English blue/red ticks. Although the English ticks seem a little more protective of their turf and people.

I just love the hunting hound breeds. They seem so majestic and to hear the bellow of a hound is to know they love doing their job. I actually get goosebumps when I hear a hound tree.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie
Plotts are pretty common in WV, whether bred for big game or coon.
From a few first meetings with me, I think they have qualities very similar to English blue/red ticks. Although the English ticks seem a little more protective of their turf and people.

I just love the hunting hound breeds. They seem so majestic and to hear the bellow of a hound is to know they love doing their job. I actually get goosebumps when I hear a hound tree.
LOL goosebumps really? lol

Thanks for the info! Are they like a typical hound as far as always having the nose to the ground?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Well my brother has English dogs, but a few people they hunt with have Plotts, I have been around them some, and assume they use their noses just the same......else why would they use them for tracking game.
On the other hand, my experience with them is minimal, but they seem very friendly and willing to please.
I really am partial to the looks of a Redbone and would love to have one as a companion/pet one day. Probably not a hunter cause I am not into that type of hunting, but just love the look and loyalty, and also the bark. lol
Old 07-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

They are much better known in UKC. They were very common in the county I grew up in. The hog hunters would use them as trackers, and would also breed them to their Pits to get multi-purpose dogs. Unfortunately, we did see lots of them ending up in shelters, either lost (went off track?) or dumped (wouldn't hunt?) - don't know the real reasons, but I got to know the breed really well and they are neat dogs. They didn't seem to have aggression issues, were eager to please and not as distracted as some of the other hounds during obedience training.

Here are some links, with their breed standard, and the UKC competition designed for Coonhounds (including them).

http://www.ukcdogs.com/RegUKCBreeds.htm
http://www.ukcdogs.com/HPCoonhounds.htm

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

I see them sometimes. We very seldom see them at the shelter, but I remember a few. Of course I am in NC, so it helps.