Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Big German Shepherd

Unhappy I'm Sad-- My Pup's Being Weird!

Today has been kind of weird. Usually my puppy is really playful and happy, which he kind of was until a little later. He started disobeying me, he didn't come when I asked which he ALWAYS does, Whenever I walk he ALWAYS follows me (I was shocked cause he didn't come and it seemed like he didn't wan to be near me ). Anyway, I'm really sad. He was looking around and whimpering slightly.

Maybe he was looking for my dad who is at work and doesn't come back till later, my pup and him really bonded. I'm sad though because it seems like he hates me now.

I just heard him whimpering and went running over to find his paws propped up where I usually am sitting. I asked him to follow me and it seems like he's almost reluctantly did it. But he's laying down next to me taking a nap now. Anyone know why he was acting so awfully weird?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Could he be looking around and whining because he needed a trip to the potty? Sometimes puppies get an anxious look when they have to go or if they have already gone in the house.
He could also have been having a moment of melancholy for the siblings and mom he so recently left. If I remember correctly you just got him on Monday right? Our pup Gunnar took about a week to be completely comfortable with our home, schedule, etc. He may have just been unsure of what you wanted from him as well, or like a toddler, unwilling to cooperate at the moment.
If you want to make sure you have a really strong bond with him then make sure that you are the one who feeds him, trains and plays with him the most and just interacts with him in a positive, fun way.
Sometimes dogs have down days too. I hope that tomorrow is a better day for the both of you!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Big German Shepherd

I do 95% of everything with my dog, I am fully responsible for him. My dad works a lot so it's hard for him but they have bonded! My dad takes him out and feeds him in the morning and during noon time, and I take him out the rest of the day and feed him one more time. Problem is, I just took him to the bathroom and he did his business really well which I was very proud of! So it can't be that. He was acting awfully strange.

He's still sleeping next to me.

Yes, I got him Monday night. The 2nd day was really bad for him cause he was so sad about leaving his mom he was whimpering and looking for her everywhere but he's really cooled down a lot, so I don't think it's the mom. But maybe it is, you could be right. He may still be adjusting. I hope it's just that.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Felurian

Just keep remembering he is a baby. His entire world has turned upside down, no Mom dog, no littermates, no familiar smells and sounds. Like a baby, he's easily distracted, so there are going to be times when he seems perfectly well adjusted, but he's also going to have times when he misses his old world. He's going to need lots and lots of cuddling and affection, so just keep on with what you're doing. Don't worry too much, he'll pick up on your tension. You keep taking good care of him and loving him like you do and he'll be a dog who never wants to leave your side.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-17-2005, 09:33 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

There was a book i read once called My Mother's Dog...ran right along this topic..i think you need to be the one to feed.give treats...and even if it is hard for Dad, he needs to back off. The pup is naturally going to follow his idea of the alpha..When my daughter wanted to have Tate, a yellow labrador pup be hers, it was hard, but i did nothing for Tate short of let her out while my daughter was in school. If i hadn't, Taty would have been one more dog for me. My daughter fed her, and slept with her as well as all the play and fun stuff. I would not even look at the puppy. I know it sounds like i was being mean, but i wasn't. Tate had Bindog to play with, and knew when her "people" came home she would have that fun too. After i saw that their bond was sealed, then i gave Tate the same attention as the rest. I tried to do the same with Bronki, for he was to be my son's dog..but Aaron was too young or distracted and i felt he was not giving the very young puppy enough attention..that was when i stepped in for i told Aaron it was too good of a puppy and i wouldn't allow him to waste a good dog.. Then Bronki did that thing of running and hiding under the bed when i let the other puppies out and waiting for me to find him..thump thump thump..after that we were a pair. Ask Dad to step back a little, if this is to be your dog.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Island dweller

Maybe he lost a toy?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Big German Shepherd

No, I was trying desperately to play with him. So, it couldn't have been the toy. He would play but then lose interest. He loves to nip (how do I stop that? I've been putting the toy in front of his mouth and it sometimes works but other times he doesn't even care about the toy, he loves me hand).

It's very hard for me to say to my dad to back off on the dog. See, he grew up living without dogs and never liked the idea of having a dog. But he's doing a great job of helping out and cooporating and I've even caught him petting the dog and feeding him little peices of meat. It's way too hard for me to tell him to back off after seeing him start to bond and adapt to my dog.

All he does is feed him in the morning and take him out, feed him in the lunch time and take him out, and that's it. He's usually working most of the time. My dad plays with him a little too.

But what I'm trying to say is, while he's gone (a long time), I play with him, give him treats, take him out, pet him, clean up after him, and just sit with him and watch TV.

But it was just awfully weird the way he was acting this afternoon.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Island dweller

I think you should ignore him and stop trying so hard. Then he will be like "what the heck? why aren't you loving me?" instead of you saying that. LOL I'm mostly serious.

As for the biting. Try squealing OW! everytime he nips you. Then walk away and ignore him for a few minutes. Completely. No eye contact. biting = no more playing (for a little while)
Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 AM

Oh Bigdog...he's just such a little baby. I remember when I first got Hammie, there were times during the night that he would actually wake up and be filled with such terror....not the usual whining, but totally upset at the new surroundings. I would sometimes try to console him, but he'd act like he didn't even know me. That actually went on for at least the first week, maybe even two. I'm sure every puppy is different, but Rocky is still adjusting. Regarding him sometimes not listening to you......that sounds pretty normal to me. I will tell you that Ham still tests me......he truly does it for fun. Puppies just act dorky sometimes, just keep doing what you're doing. Remember that he's used to playing a bit rougher with his littermates, just yell like Saje said or immediately tell him 'no bite'......repetition is the key, but you'll be amazed how smart he is!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Felurian

I think you'll be surprised to find that as Rocky gets older, he will differentiate between you and your Dad in the way he relates to you. German Shepherds are very good at that. Purdue loved my Mom and liked to play jokes on her. He adored my Dad and stuck right by him any time Dad was outside working in the yard, he treated my little sister like the brat she was, lol, and would herd her to keep her out of trouble, but when I got home from school, no one else existed for him. I was always first in his heart, no matter what.

Bimmer worships Charley, but he's devoted to me. He always wants to go out in the pasture with Charley, but other than that, when it's time to go or stay anywhere he always chooses me, although he will stay with Charley and is happy when I tell him to do that.

There's an awful lot of love in a German Shepherd heart - more than enough to cover you and your Dad. Rocky will just love you in different ways - kind of like the different ways we love the people in our lives.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian