Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Big Dog

JYNX, sorry for my ignorance, yes, I see what you mean. Do you know of a main sight on the DDR shepherd--a history of their development, or what-not?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannerson
JYNX, sorry for my ignorance, yes, I see what you mean. Do you know of a main sight on the DDR shepherd--a history of their development, or what-not?

DDR's, West German, Czech lines tend to be harder dogs than Americans. I have two west german GSD's right now and man are they a handful. My 3 year old would have definately been put down a lONG time ago in the wrong hands. My 4 month old puppy is on the agressive side. Just research what you want and understand that GSD's are not as "easy' as people think.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Big Dog

Thank you! Always wanting to learn more as I am an advid dog-study-learner. I've always been impressed with the GSD strength, stamina, and drive. Definitely not for many people.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Big Dog

In what circumstances does your four month old puppy demonstrate aggression?

A show of actual aggression in a non threatening situation and enviroment amongst neutral individuals is a serious sign of weak nerves.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:26 PM
GSDGurl

You guys should see the Boy I just got today.Perfect Topline.Not Roachback,no extreme angulation.Watch out shows here we come.I am in Love.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

please don't take this wrong, and absolutely no disrepect intended, I personally don't care for the west german dogs,,that is just ME..

I do know alot think the ddr, czech dogs can be harder dogs, I find the czech dogs a real handful, (but I like that kind of dog),,the experience I've had with my ddr dogs is totally opposite..I find they do mature later, but mine have always been such biddable easy dogs to train/work..They will go all day long if you ask them to, but have no problem loading around doing nothing all day..(my czech female forget it, she HAS to be doing something the majority of the time or she's a bear to live with).

My male came out of a male from this kennel www.vonhena-c.com She has czech, wgerman, mostly ddr lined dogs. The temperaments on her dogs are the best I've seen overall.

I do know there is a website devoted to DDR dogs, and let me search around for the link and I'll post it here.
Diane
Old 07-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Top Dog

actually here's a site that might help you out
http://www.eastgermanshepherd.com/
Diane
Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

I like DDR's, not so much Czech. I just feel that west german have more of an attitude, and thats what I like. Trust me, my Caza is about as hard as it gets.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
RedyreRottweilers

GSDlover, I'm curious as to your definition of "hard" when referring to working dogs.

I've never equated hardness with attitude or sharpness.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
GSDlover, I'm curious as to your definition of "hard" when referring to working dogs.

I've never equated hardness with attitude or sharpness.

Hard meaning he is very confident, doesnt care about corrections (I can yank and crank all day and it wont do anything, unless someone else tries to correct him, then its on) and will challenge you. He's an amazing dog WITH the right owner. He is not sharp, he has very good nerves, just doesnt like being touched and cuddled. He never gets nervous or antsy in new environments. Nothing fazes him really. And by attitude I mean they seem more prissy to me. Like if they were people they would be those who have their nose to the sky looking down on everyone. Caza thinks he's too good for anyone, lol.