Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Default Licking and dominance?

I took Toki out today and this stranger approach to touch him. I said sorry because Toki was licking all over her. Then this stranger tells me that Toki is licking because of dominance. I've never heard of that. Do you guys think so?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

WHAT?! My lord, what a dope this guy must have been.

Toki might lick because she tastes something on the man's hand. I knew a dog once that licked everything because his sense of smell was shot. Some dogs lick out of a grooming instinct, or to show affection. If anything a licking dog is demonstrating his agreeability. Licking can be a displacement behavior--one that comforts a dog in an uncomfortable situation.

And people who use the term "dominance" in that way have no idea what it even means. They think it makes them sound knowledgeable. But truth be told, saying "that dog's dominant" is like saying "that dog's brown." It gives no useful information about the dog, his personality or emotions, his environment, or his life.

So no, to conclude, I think your dog was just being a dog. It was the stranger who needs training!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Big Dog

My 5 year old Yorkie, Scooter licks my 13 year old Yorkie, Cidney all over his face and ears and I can not get him to stop. Cidney loves getting licked as much as Scooter loves to lick him. I try to make Scooter not do this when I am around mostly because Cidney ends up with a wet hairdo sticking up all over the place. I just assume the act is a way of Scooter expressing how much he loves his big brother. Cidney will dig Scooter out from under the blanket in the morning just to get his morning kisses.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Active Pup

Sofa, one of our old english sheepdogs, is always licking stuff too, tables, the excercise manchine, rocks and the dinner table legs, and she loves to lick my wife and me. No matter what, she never seems to stop. She likes to take away things from the alpha male, but if you chase her to take it away, she turns her belly up to the sky. The same thing when it's time to go out potty... Sometimes I have to drag her outside...

She has a history of abuse before we adopted her a year ago, and she was very neglected. If an stranger or a tall man rises his hand on her, she gets submisive urination, but besides that, she's playful and likes to meet new people. We're doing our best to care for her, and we really don't mind that much licking, but it would be much nicer if we cold teach her to stop licking so much.

What could be causing all that licking?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Felurian

Bimmer cleans both the girls' faces, although he spends more time on Kharma's, especially after he's just chastized her for something. Both the girls will also lay down and stretch their heads out toward him for the face and ear washing - they seem to be asking for his attention and it seems to be somewhat reassuring and calming to them. Afterwards they sometimes wash his face or groom him. Shiva's a very energetic groomer - Bimmer and Kharma brace themselves against something when she starts

Bimmer and Kharma both lick Charley and me as well. Shiva's more of a nuzzler, and she likes to rub lips. She LOVES to gently pull Charley's moustache, lol. I tease him and tell him it's because she smells food . . .

I doubt there's any one explanation for licking. It seems to be a rather complex form of emoting for dogs.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Corgi bum

That's ridiculous!!! My Doxie, Jackson Browne licks everyone, and he is the least dominant dog I have ever seen. He's just very affectionate!!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

Hmmmm.....well, a dog will lick another dogs lips, but that is because s/he is being subbmissive. We have a neighbor who used to have an Alasken Malamute named Loupie. Loupie lived over at our house and she was a licking machine. She'd lick and lick and lick and lick and lick and lick and lick and.......well, you get the idea. If that licking was a sign of dominance, we would have all been in trouble! lol THat was just her way of showing affection.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Felurian

And a dog will lick another dog's lips to find out what kind of goodies have been eaten . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

hahaha that's funny. Anyways, i told the stranger woman are you sure about the licking is a dominance? And then she straights out talks to me that im stupid. Yes im positive my husband is a dog trainer so I know that she says. She even told me to go online to find out. hum...
Old 03-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Because when Toki licks i can tell that his trying to be affectionate. IT's funny because I would tell Toki to stop licking me then he stops but if I take my eyes out of him then he will sneakily lick my hands or face. it's so cute.