Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Walks into Mordor

Question Voodoo's breed...Part II

I posted this in another thread, but I figured I'd start a seperate one for this question.

Last week, the vet started doubting that Voodoo was a purebred catahoula. He said that as Voodoo ages, he's starting to have more and more of a bully look to him, possibly pit or bulldog. I dunno...I don't know enough about catahoulas or bully breeds to say for sure.

I'm also starting to wonder if the vet's estimate of Voodoo's age was wrong, too. He said Voodoo was about 10-12 months old when we found him. But my little terror has grown a little over an inch in height, and nearly 10 pounds in weight since then. Is a one-year-old dog suppossed to grow like that? Right now, Voodoo is 24 inches at the shoulder. He's 58 lbs; the vet said he'll probably fill out to about 70 lbs when fully mature (the chaos demon is still a bit on the lean side right now)

Check out the pictures and tell me what you think. They're not the best pics in the world, but it's hard to get pictures of my wiggly boy.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:47 AM
just call me Nilly

I've always wondered if there's a bit of pit in him... but then again, I don't know nearly enough about Catahoula's to see wether one is purebred or not... sorry!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

Same as the post above... I'm no help
Old 07-21-2006, 11:44 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

You know, Gem, there is this beautiful Am Bulldog that comes to the dog park and after you mentioned it on the other thread I could totally see some of that in Voodoo. But, I agree with the others, Ive not seen a catahoula is person to be able to really know the difference (other than their markings) but according to website photos...I could see how Voodoo could possibly not be a full bred Catahoula. Hm, did that make sense?

Old 07-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Walks into Mordor

Thanks for the input. I can see where Voodoo looks pitty...but I can also see where he could be pure catahoula. It's neither here nor there. *sigh* If only dogs could talk. I also left a message on a catahoula forum (yes, I actually found one), but it doesn't look particularly active. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

I'm with everyone else when it comes to breed, I could see pit in him but I don't know enough about Catahoula's to know if maybe they just have a look like a pit...

As for his age, with both of my guys and from what I've read and been told dogs do *most* of their height growing in the first year and then they fill out the second to third year.

Roxy stopped having height growth spurts at about 10 months, she's gotten taller since then but nothing drastic or really at all noticeable unless I measure her.

Hades will be a year in August... He had a growth spurt about a month ago, but really hasn't gotten much taller since then, just been packin on the pounds! LOL

I'm sure with larger breeds they grow height wise longer than a year though, although I would assume that they taper of drastically after a year.

So IMO, if he's still having growth spurts that drastic of an inch or more he's younger than a year old...
Old 07-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Is there any breeders around your area that you could ask that you could possibly ask ?? The only one I have seen in person was Charlie,but he was mixed (I think) and their faces are similiar...but Charlie was a little overweight so I dont know exactly what his body structure would look like if he slimmed down..
Old 07-21-2006, 01:45 PM

I know that I have called Voodoo a pit or pit mix before but that was because I kept mixing up Voodoo with CD's Hades..I do have them straight now. All of the PB Catahoulas that I've seen here, and there haven't been that many, have a very houndy heads. Kind of pointer meets lab or hound...??
Have you searched the breeder sites to compare?
All I know is that Voodoo is a very strikingly handsome dog...(as is Hades CD, that's why the mixup I'm sure).
I'm more inclined to think some sort of bully in there just because of head shape, ear placement...but I've not seen enough Cat's to judge either.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416
Is there any breeders around your area that you could ask that you could possibly ask ?? The only one I have seen in person was Charlie,but he was mixed (I think) and their faces are similiar...but Charlie was a little overweight so I dont know exactly what his body structure would look like if he slimmed down..
I was going to ask the same thing... any breeders in the area?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Love my pets

I found a pic of a catahoula on this website that looks like Voodoo, especially in the pic where Voodoo is sitting:

http://www.catahoulaleopard.com/swdogs.htm