Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-22-2006, 02:18 AM
orange iguanas.

I don't avoid just by breed. Then again, I never really have to avoid anyone anyway, seems that whenever I take the dogs for a walk, no one else is walking their dog lol.

But as everyone else said, I'll avoid certain dogs based on the way they are acting. Both Molly and Lucy are very good on a leash, but even they get a little curious when they hear a dog growling and barking or see one pulling on their leash. We once passed a golden retriever who was pulling so hard on her leash to get over to us, she was barking, and the whole situation made me a little nervous because the two girls walking her looked like they were only about 6 years old--definitely not strong enough to control a dog like that. I just had to tell Molly and Lucy, "let's keep going" and their attention was back to me and we just went on. The golden though sure didn't want to give up.

Lol I used to kind of avoid little dogs too, they always seem to be the unpredictable ones, guess my opinions changed now that I have Lucy!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

The question should be:
What type of people do you avoid when you go out for walks with your dog?

I'd have alot to say for that one
Old 07-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Big Dog

I don't avoid any particular breed, but I avoid every dog, since more than half the dogs in my neighbourhood are poorly trained. I only see one man and one old lady who walk their dogs without the dogs dragging them. The lady's dog is never on a leash, and never leaves her side no matter what. (and SO cute!) Foster loves that dog and they always say hi to eachother very well. But even though the man's dog's are properly trained and all, Foster just seems to HATE his chow. He goes NUTS! the fur on the back of his neck stands up and he gets really low. I always cross the street or move far away when he is walking that dog. And lets not even start on little dogs here. EVERY little dog that I have passed by has tried to bite Foster, and the owners just LAUGH. Why is that funny to them? I know Foster isn't the greatest dog when walking (barks at people and dogs on the way there...but for some reason not on the way back) but he is far more properly trained than most of the others I see.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I avoid all other dogs while walking my dogs on a leash.

Now I know my dogs temperments and training, but I do not know what an unfamilar dog is capable of, whether big or small. And I don't trust a person to say "my dog is friendly" or "my dog just loves other dogs".

I could end up with a huge dog fight on my hands if another dog attacked my dogs. Or I could end up with an injured small dog if he has more brawn than brain.

As for all the loose dogs I encounter, if they come to close or cause a problem for my leashed dogs.......I always carry pepper spray while walking my dogs.

It really is sad because problems really start with uneducated or neglectful dog owners. I really wish I could feel comfortable walking my leashed dogs, but I don't because there is always something roaming free around the corner.

My husband has been bitten once by a nice dog. I have been bitten once by the same nice dog. All due to the owner telling us the dog is a real sweetie to everyone........... won't fall for that again. And it was a lab at that.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:24 AM
Golden Love

I avoid all dogs. Both of my dogs have plenty of oppurtunity to socialize offleash and with dogs I am comfortable with, but the whole "sniff and greet" on leash thing doesn't go over well with either of them for different reasons.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain

Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
-Lewis Grizzard

Old 07-23-2006, 03:33 AM
Are you dead yet?

I avoid all dogs that I don't know. I used to agree to the sniff-and-greet stuff with Dakota because I was confident that he would be nice to every dog he met, but lately he's been a little more choosy about who he wants to play with so I just avoid the greetings with all other dogs. I don't want to have to worry about my dog reacting badly.

I do avoid very large dogs, as they could hurt Dakota and Ripley with ease. I avoid tinies when I only have Dakota with me.

I also admittedly avoid most Pit Bulls and Rottweilers in Arizona. Too many idiots there who simply have the dogs as ego boosters and encourage them to act mean. In Idaho, I don't encounter nearly as many "bad" Pits and Rotties and don't worry as much.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
I don't avoid a particular breed, but I avoid particular actions from other dogs.
You took the words right out of my mouth DanL! Me and my boy got attacked by a chow/lab mix at the place I walk and he was on a leash until the owner lost control of her dog *ugh*! Man, did I give her a few words. The dog didn't attack me persay but I did fall over the both of the dogs hurting my shoulder. I told the lady that if she can't control her dog then don't walk it where lots of others walk with there dogs and the next time we cross paths she better have a **** good grip on her dog! I said lots more to her but it wasn't nice!
Old 07-23-2006, 03:22 PM
LabBreeder

I don't avoid the dog because of it's breed but because of it's owner. If someone is letting an 8 year old walk a 60 + lb dog I will steer clear simply because that kid will not be able to handle the dog if something goes wrong.

Dogs, and owners, that I know and that Tira and Gunner knows we'll walk over to and get reaquainted (sp?). I'm having to teach Gunner to not paw at or jump onto other dogs (playfully mind ya, not mean) cause not all dogs put up with puppy antics. There are a few small breeds I avoid simply because they've already proven to be dog/people aggressive and Tira does not like aggressive small breeds due to a bad experience as a puppy (a doxie mix bit her nose and left 3 pink scars that eventually colored back in on their own) but she will put up with nice small breeds.

Basically, if I know the dogs are ok I won't avoid them. If I've never met them or the owners or have seen them act aggressively we don't go near them.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
The question should be:What type of people do you avoid when you go out for walks with your dog?
True enough. I avoid most dogs, but I really go out of my way to get away from the following situations:

- People with dogs on flexi-leads (no control, and no sense)
- Children walking large dogs (I've seen way too many kids let go)
- Men walking macho breeds (especially intact male dogs, in which case both man and beast are usually crazy belligerent)
- Teenage boys walking anything
- Women walking 'family' breeds while pushing a stroller, wrangling a toddler and talking on the cell phone
- White trash walking anything

Those are for my benefit. I also avoid the elderly and children who are walking small dogs. My dog is not dog-aggressive or people-aggressive, but she's very physical. When she becomes excited at seeing other dogs, she could easily knock over an old person or child.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Top Dog

What is your definition of "macho breed"? I ask because I own an intact German Shepherd, who is obviously better trained than your dog since I can approach children and old people without fear of him knocking them down.

What is your definition of white trash? Someone less fortunate than you?