Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

And both my male dogs were drowsy from the anaesthesia on the day of the neuter when I brought them home. By the next day, they were playing as usual. It didn't slow them down at all, and we didn't have any trouble with biting at or scratching the incision. It was like nothing had happened!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

The only problem I can still say is that anesthesia is a lot harder on an older dog. Puppies recover almost like nothing happened. But ya, that is great if some shelters did a better follow up but not all of them do and the best way to guarentee it will be done is to do it before the animal leaves the shelter, no matter the age.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

With dogs that are fixed early they always seem immature to me. Not jsut how they look(kinda gangly) but also how they act sometimes.

the bottom line for me is there is a higher risk of bone cancer which I have known many dogs to have than of any testicualr or mammery cancer. So I'd rather give my dog the chance to develop.

that said if ther eis any chance the dog will breed then it needs fixed asap.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Wow, I just learned a whole lot. I mean it is the internet so it is not alway believable but I was reading the IVIS and right now reading a 2005 article by Chris Zink DVM, PhD, DACVP. Very interesting, I guess it differs greatly between dogs and cats.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Twin 2.0

It's great everyone is being so civil with this, but I think the pro/con of neutering early gone on long enought to warrent it's own thread.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

Is it really that big of deal? I though we were all just having a conversation. The OPs original questions were answered and now we are all just talking about whether early neuter is a good idea or not, which is a question the OP asked. If that is not allowed then sorry! I did not know that.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:11 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Hey, Rousseau,

I would like to put you in touch with this breeder of bulldogs.

They have been in the breed for almost 40 years (she is second generation bulldogs), and she is a very nice person. Horney's is well known in the bulldog world, and they have bred numerous CHs.

She has an incredible depth of knowledge of the bulldog breed, and is very patient with sharing her time to educate newcomers to the breed.

Visit her website:

http://www.horneysbulldogs.com
Old 07-20-2006, 12:47 PM
nook the crook

redyre, thank you so much, i will be contacting her and picking her brain. thanks, my bully was bread by 2nd gen bulldog breeders in OK, they were very helpful when it came to educating me on the breed, as for everyone else, thank you for the help and not blowing up on the forum newb. i own a business that caters to the custom car industry and i am p[art of a few forums where we flame on people for dumb questions so i thank you for holding back.lol
Old 07-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

LOL- no problem! It's always such a treat when someone comes here with a question and actually has the intelligence and patience to LISTEN to the various answers.

I don't consider questions like this "dumb" in the least. Everyone has to learn somewhere, and this is a mindboggling sort of world that most people don't even realize exists. The only thing I consider "dumb" is when it becomes clear that the person asking the question never wanted an honest answer.

Good luck with your pup- he's quite the cutie!