Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Active Pup

Default id breed?

this is maddie. she is part labrador, but her temprament is anything but. we don't know anything about the other breed =< i suspect it's some sort of terrier b/c she is very hyperactive, digs and nips alot. jrt maybe

Last edited by glycerinberry; 07-17-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:27 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Labs are a very hyper breed. I wouldn't be able to tell you what she is crossed with but the hyperness can definately come from the lab side.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 AM

She looks like a lab/pit to me and yes, labs are very hyper especially as pups.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Yeah, now that you mention pit, I do see it. I see pit in the eyes especially.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebulliedbreeds
Yeah, now that you mention pit, I do see it. I see pit in the eyes especially.
Yes, and her high set floppy little ears...very cute!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Active Pup

well i adopted her at the humane society, and they had about six of pitbull/lab puppies around the same age as my maddie (4-6 mos.) they usually do a background check and home visits if you decide to adopt a pit (or even a pit mix) to make sure you don't use the puppy for pit fighting.

i thought she was a pit too when i first saw her, but they didn't do any of those extra things they do for pits. maybe thy just weren't sure she was a pit?

the closest thing i can think of are pitbulls or terriers. i used to think she was a patterdale but fullgrown patterdales are the size that she is now at 4 mos. old.

thank you guys
Old 07-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little
haha thank you! she's quite a handful. it's my first dog and i was hoping she's be more mellow, but she's awesome just the same. hjopefully the noipping will go down. her teeth are so sharp
Old 07-17-2006, 11:06 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little
Yup, that too. She is adorable. Its so wonderful you adopted her.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by glycerinberry
well i adopted her at the humane society, and they had about six of pitbull/lab puppies around the same age as my maddie (4-6 mos.) they usually do a background check and home visits if you decide to adopt a pit (or even a pit mix) to make sure you don't use the puppy for pit fighting.

i thought she was a pit too when i first saw her, but they didn't do any of those extra things they do for pits. maybe thy just weren't sure she was a pit?

the closest thing i can think of are pitbulls or terriers. i used to think she was a patterdale but fullgrown patterdales are the size that she is now at 4 mos. old.

thank you guys
Is that a very common dog even? I have never even heard of one before and I am pretty good at knowing and recognizing dog breeds.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

The Patterdale Terrier, sometimes called the "Black Fell Terrier," has a short, coarse, broken coat or wire coat that comes in red, brown, black & tan, or black. The face is thickset and the eyes are inquisitive. The widely spaced ears are set high and hang in v-shaped folds. The well-built body is thicker than most any terrier; it resembles that of a Bull Terrier. The legs are solid, with medium-sized feet and sable pads.

Temperament
The Patterdale Terrier is a laid back terrier, not as yappy as some other terriers. It enjoys "curling up at the heating duct" in the house. Although the Patterdale Terrier's small size could qualify him as a toy dog, his abilities and gameness deems him as a solid terrier; his determination and toughness demand his inclusion in the mastiff group. They are game and tough when hunting. Hunters often take three or four dogs with them on an outing. The Patterdale Terrier is a good watchdog. This is not a dog for the non-terrier fan or the faint-hearted. The Patterdale Terrier is a robust, independent hunter bred solely for functional services as a ratter and hunting companion. Its Bull Terrier bloodlines make it too fierce to work as a hunter with pack hounds. They are particularly hard and persistent. Many Foxhound owners would not thank you for attempting to bolt his fox with a hard bitten Patterdale, for the dog is more likely to get hold and have a go, possibly kill the fox rather then allow him to bolt, thus spoiling the hunt with the hounds. It is an excellent digger, intently willing to encounter and attack any mammal that has gone to ground. The fells of the north country, with the protection afforded foxes in borrans, rock tip, mines and scree, created the need for a hard terrier able to scramble over the terrain and fearless enough to go to ground. The Patterdale filled, and still does, fill that need. The interest of local breeders ensures it survival. The breed is not easy to obedience train. The Patterdale should not be trusted with non-canine pets.

Thanks BP