Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Mutts to you

Unhappy Not the best of mornings...

We keep our neighbor's horses for them (neither husband or wife know that much about horses) and her younger horse has been diagnosed this past week with EPM, Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis. It affects the central nervous system and, among other things, makes him extremely unsteady on his feet. This morning when we went out to feed everyone and clean the barn, we found him down and unable to get up. I have no idea how long the poor guy was down (he was up at 11:30pm and down at 6am). Called the neighbor and told her we might have to call the vet because if we couldn't get him up, he would probably have to be pts. (Ever try to pick up a 1200 lb horse? It ain't easy.)

Got a halter on him and he finally managed to struggle to his feet, after falling on a couple of attempts. I don't know what we're going to do if he's down again tomorrow morning or if God forbid, he falls under the gate or a manger. The disease is moving fast (a week and a half ago he was just stumbling occasionally, now he moves like a drunken sailor and, of course, he's getting extremely nervous because he knows he can't escape any kind of danger.) My neighbor wants to give him every chance, and I can't blame her, she loves her animals and she wants to give the drug protocol time to work (vet said it could take up to six months to cure him, but at least there is a cure now.)

It's gonna be a stressful few weeks, I think, for all of us. *sigh* Please send some good thoughts our way...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Mutts to you

Oops, stuck this in the wrong place... Mods? Could you move this please?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

It is scary to see a horse that's down and unable to get up...

Just make sure when he's out he doesn't have a halter on, just in case he goes down and get's stuck on something...

Could you leave him in a stall overnight? Depending on what type of stall, sometimes it's safer for them to go down in the stall. You know where they are, and if they go down, you can use a lunge line as a pully to help get him up.

I hope he comes around.. It's so sad to see horses like that... they're usually so graceful and strong...

I hope tomorrow morning has a better outcome than today for you Snark
Old 07-16-2006, 04:57 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I'm sorry.

I don't know anything about horses, but I hope he is able to recover, Ihate to see any animal in pain or immobilized.

Sending prayers and good vibrations your way...

Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

So sorry things are going poopey..
I hope things turn around real soon and you start feeling much better..

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 07-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I'm sorry I hope the treatment works and he doesn't fall again!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

It's so scary when you see them down !!! We had ours flounder from time to time and had to keep them walking until the vet came. The second they stopped and acted like they wanted to lay down, many went into action. We did lose eldest daughter's horse this way .... the farmer where we boarded decided on his own to turn Blue out in damp spring grasses.......he died in his stall that night without us knowing what had happened.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Felurian

You're a good neighbor and friend, Snark . . . That's an awful lot of worry and care to take on for someone else. Hope the poor horse can stay ahead of the disease long enough to give the treatment a chance to work its magic . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Mutts to you

Well, they're good friends and neighbors, too. They were there for me when I lost Rocket, my old Morgan, three years ago. I just hope the medicine will work, the prognosis for most cases isn't very good.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Mutts to you

Houdini lost his battle with EPM, went down and couldn't get up again. The vet came and said there wasn't anything else we could do for him, the medicine wasn't working. He was buried yesterday near my old Morgan, Rocket and Sis' old mare, Ginger.