Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Puppy Dog

Question can pekingese swim?

i am setting up a pond in the yard that is 5 ft wide and 24 inches deep, now my 10 lb pekingese will be in the yard often with the pond and im worried he may jump in and drown. can they swim like any other dog?
Old 03-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure, but I think any dog can swim to a point. The only thing that would concern me is their ears and water getting in them. Small breeds tend to get ear infections VERY easily. My kids would take Sadie into the pool during the summer. She's black and would get extremely hot while out with the family in the yard. She developed a nasty ear infection from it and from now on is a NO NO. And although I think it was more the chlorine than anything, I think I'd consider any water would be a concern to look out for.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:57 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

always always when making a pool of water..have some kind of ramp so that whatever bird, squirrel or dog can find a way out. An easy way is to make a hardcloth bridge..it can be disguised so it doesn't show too much....ps..i saw a pomerian float on a site somewhere..they just laid the dog down i believe on it's back and there was so much air trapped that it floated.... if a bird falls in it has to have something to hook it's beak against to pull the weight of wet feathers and body out. The bugs will be able to get out too leaving u a cleaner pool.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

Smkie is absolutely right. But yes, Peeks can swim just like any other dog. They just tire quickly because of their size, so make sure you have something to help her get out if she falls in.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Dog Spoiler

Or you can get a net over the pond. It probably a good idea and will keep your dog from drinking the pond water, cant be that healthy.
-Jon
Old 03-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

I think all dogs can swin naturally
Old 03-13-2005, 09:02 AM
no touchy

You should get a ramp, like smkie said. Some breeds can't swim as well as others. For example--the Bassett Hound vs. the Labrador Retriever.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:42 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

any dog will drown if he can't get his feet up over the edge..they have to have something to hang on to and get the lower feet on to brace up same as a person. I had a man i worked for that decided to use horse tanks for water tanks for his fowl. I had a lovely collection of peacock feathers because he wouldn't put a ramp..it doesn't take much in the tank when he installed it. We had a little ramp with slats on it for the ducks at the kennel i worked at. It was unobtrusive and didn't show much.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Puppy Dog

well it does have plant shelves on the sides, maybe that would give a lift. im still worried, even thinking about when it freezes over in winter, if he walks on it he will get cought in the ice. netting sounds good. a ramp might take over the whole pond since its not very big, but its worth a try
times like this i wish i had a newfie hehe
Old 03-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewyourpoor
a ramp might take over the whole pond since its not very big, but its worth a try
times like this i wish i had a newfie hehe
ROFL! A Newfie! Now that really WOULD take over the whole pond . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian