Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Show Dog

Default Sorry for a really dumb question...

sorry for a really dumb question...but i've never owned a girl pup/dog before.. and well i'm not sure Roxie is a girl LOL.. when she pee's she kind of lifts her leg a little bit... doesn't squat (oreo does that but he's a boy) ..

Roxie's genital is sort of like a very tiny thing sticking out of a hole.. i dont feel any testicles but aren't girls supposed to holes? .. oreo i can see is a boy because i can see his testicles and his long thing lol.. is this normal for a girl pup.. i'm seriously clueless haha... i just want to make sure roxie is a girl and i didn't get a boy and giving her a girl name..

i don't think showing a picture would be appropriate, but i seriously don't know! can anyone tell me what it's supposed to look like? sorry for a really noobie question!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Top Dog

Female dogs do have an external structure for urination. So do human females, if you think about it. I'm sure there's a name for it, but I don't know what it is. But a female's urinary structure is close to the base of the tail and the rectum. A male's penis will be farther forward on his belly. And I know several female dogs that lift their legs. A lack of testicles is a dead giveaway.

If you want to PM me a picture, I'll let you know.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:01 AM
Show Dog

ok well at first when i looked at her genitals, i thought it was a weener but when you say close the the rectum.. just looking it looked like it was on her belly.. when i did take a picture and i looked at it.. i see the difference now sorrry for a really dumb question! thanks creature teacher!

but looking at her.. i don't think she's 13 weeks.. but then again what do i know! thanks again!
Old 03-13-2005, 10:04 AM
no touchy

If she lifts her leg, that's normal. Female dogs will do that too.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

She might not be 13 weeks. A lot of people lie about their pups' age to get rid of them when they become pests at about 6-7 weeks. (It's illegal to sell a puppy younger than eight weeks and separate it from its mother.)
Old 03-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
Female dogs do have an external structure for urination. So do human females, if you think about it. I'm sure there's a name for it, but I don't know what it is.
The name for it is 'vulva.'

You know, I really love that this is somewhere anyone can ask a question like this and it's not a big deal. No one is going to make fun of another person for not knowing, or act shocked or disgusted or make inappropriate or cruel remarks. Remember the thread about male dogs and the "red thing sticking out?" This is a great bunch of people here, and I'm proud to be part of something that really is a community in the old fashioned meaning of the word.

Everyone gets a hug now.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Andy

sorry to get off topic but is it really illegal to seperate/sell pups before the age of 8 weeks? because when my aunt was down here trying to buy a puppy she came across about 4 people who were selling pups younger than 8 weeks. she turned them down

again sorry to get off topic
Old 03-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Love my pets

Khristine, my female is now 11 1/2 years old and has lifted her leg to pee for as long as I can remember. My male actually does not lift his leg.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog
sorry to get off topic but is it really illegal to seperate/sell pups before the age of 8 weeks? because when my aunt was down here trying to buy a puppy she came across about 4 people who were selling pups younger than 8 weeks. she turned them down

again sorry to get off topic
Well, it's supposed to be illegal in most states. But of course it's not usually enforced. I've known too many dogs with emotional problems left over from being taken from their mothers too early. But if you see someone doing it, report them to the local humane society or SPCA. They can usually talk the person into keeping the pups until they're old enough to be separated.

Thanks Renee! This is a great community we've got here!
Old 03-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Show Dog

thanks everyone for being so kind to respond!

i was hoping they didn't lie to me when i got her about her age, but they really really really wanted to get rid of her.. they were going to take her to the shelter if no one wanted her.. so of course i wanted her..

they gave me this little paper from the vet that they took her too, it said she the vet estimated that roxie was 5 weeks when they had seen her (1/12/04) .. so she'd be about 13 weeks now.. but i'm thinking maybe shes 16 weeks.. which isn't so bad.. i still love her!

also i am totally against people who sell the puppies under 8 weeks.. i've seen adds for puppies being sold at 4 weeks!!! .. i want to call these people and have a word.. but i know that wouldn't get me anywhere .. some of these people are just in it for the $$$ sadly..