Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Top Dog

Default Is dog food bad for cats?

I've heard cat food is not good for dogs but what about the other way around? Our kitty LOVES dog food. I give her about a half of a handfull mixed in with a cup of cat food. I just want to make sure I'm not indulging her with something that's going to harm her.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Puppy Dog

no dog food is not bad for cats at all belive it or not
Old 07-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Permanent Troll

Cat's shouldn't eat dog food.

A cat's nutritional requirements are much different than those of a dog. For example, cats require higher levels of protein than dogs. Cats must have the amino acid called 'taurine' in their diet; dogs can actually make their own taurine. A cat eating food deficient in taurine can develop severe heart disease and other health problems. Almost all cat foods now contain added taurine.

So, you see, if a cat is allowed to eat a significant amount of dog food, the cat would be eating a diet deficient in many of the cat's required nutrients. For your cat's health, be sure she is eating quality cat food.

Hope this helped
Old 07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Quigleyfied

If the dog food meets the nutritional requirements for the cat, it's fine.

For example, I've been feeding Evo dog food to 4 of my 5 cats for quite a while and they are doing better on it than they ever did on any cat food.

Studies have shown that many dogs benefit from taurine supplementation as well, so a good number of manufacturers are listing natural taurine content of their formulas and/or are adding a supplement as well.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:49 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i heard that if all they eat is dog food it will cause damage to their eyesight as well as be a higher risk for cystitis of the bladder.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-14-2006, 03:10 PM
LabBreeder

http://www.pminutrition.com/faq_4.html

dogs and cats should not eat diets that are not specifically formulated for their individual species. This is because dogs and cats have different nutritional requirements. A dog eating a diet formulated for a cat may leave the dog deficient in specific nutrients and vice versa. For example, cats require higher protein levels and the amino acid taurine. Stealing a bit of one anotherís food occasionally is not going to harm your pet but in order to meet the specific day to day nutritional needs, a diet formulated for their own species should be fed.

Cats have very explicit nutritional needs, including taurine, and dog food simply does not contain the sorts of ingredients needed by cats to meet those needs. http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandn.../f/dogfood.htm

The nutritional requirements for cats and dogs are very different. The proper diet for a cat or dog must contain adequate levels of protein, fat, vitamins and minerals in the correct proportions. A deficiency, excess or imbalance of certain nutrients can cause a dog to become unhealthy.
http://www.thepuppyplace.org/feeding.html

It seems the consensus is generally no. However, as long as the nutritional requirements are met by the food it could be fine.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

OK, so it sounds like the little bit of dog food I give her is not going to harm her because 95% of her diet is cat food. She gets soft food for breakfast and dinner. Thanks Everyone!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Corgi bum

One of my cats picks at my dogs food I think just to irritate the dog.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:28 PM
#1 Animal lover :)

Smile Is dog food bad for cats???

Yes dog food is bad for cats,it won't kill them if thats what ure thinking.
BUT it sure isn't good for them.I asked the vet that very same question and he said one of the main reasons why cats shouldn't eat dog food is because cats need more nutrients and oils (minerals) than dogs do,in which dog food doesn't supply.
Hope that helped