Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-12-2006, 07:48 PM

Default I stand behind my dogs...

This is a question to you folks who breed dogs. I paid about 1200 bucks plus airfaire for my puppy. When I got him he was only 4 weeks old. He had cocidiosis<sp>and round worms. Later it turned out that he had only one testicle fall and it seems that his growth is terribly behind schedule. He hasnt gained a pound from 8 months to 11 months. My agreement with my breeder was that I would get a male very suitable for breeding (before the bashing starts I will say that I have opted against breeding). Although I dont plan to breed I feel that I didnt recieve what I paid for. I have also never recieved my papers. We love our dog and wouldnt trade him for anything so we wouldnt ever consider returning him. On the other hand we feel like we didnt get what we paid for and should get some money back. I notice some breeders sell nonbreeding stock dogs substantially cheaper.

Do you guys think I should get some of my money back?

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
Ayn Rand

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.
Ayn Rand
Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot
This is a question to you folks who breed dogs. I paid about 1200 bucks plus airfaire for my puppy. When I got him he was only 4 weeks old. He had cocidiosis<sp>and round worms. Later it turned out that he had only one testicle fall and it seems that his growth is terribly behind schedule. He hasnt gained a pound from 8 months to 11 months. My agreement with my breeder was that I would get a male very suitable for breeding (before the bashing starts I will say that I have opted against breeding). Although I dont plan to breed I feel that I didnt recieve what I paid for. I have also never recieved my papers. We love our dog and wouldnt trade him for anything so we wouldnt ever consider returning him. On the other hand we feel like we didnt get what we paid for and should get some money back. I notice some breeders sell nonbreeding stock dogs substantially cheaper.

Do you guys think I should get some of my money back?
Unfortunately, contracts often stipulate that the money will come when the dog is returned. I'm sure you don't want that and it's sad that often they have you by the "short hairs" once you've fallen in love with the pup. Terrible..

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Airlines do not ship puppies before 8 weeks. PERIOD.

Caveat Emptor.

It is up to the BUYER to educate themselves so as not to get shafted by stupid breeders such as the one who produced and sold that puppy, ASSUMING you are telling the truth here.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
Airlines do not ship puppies before 8 weeks. PERIOD.

Caveat Emptor.

It is up to the BUYER to educate themselves so as not to get shafted by stupid breeders such as the one who produced and sold that puppy, ASSUMING you are telling the truth here.

You are wrong. They do ship them if they are told the pup was 12 weeks old. You can assume that I am telling the truth, why the hell would I lie about this? I usually stay clear of this part of this forum just because of those kind of remarks. It wouldnt be the first time that I have trusted people and not gotten what I thought I was getting. I would still rather be a bit too trusting than not trusting enough. Nothing makes enemies faster than ASSUMING that the people they are dealing with are dishonest.

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
Ayn Rand

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.
Ayn Rand
Old 07-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

You got had by a BYB/PM. Research your breeder better next time, find a good one. Deal with your money loss and enjoy your pet. Please neuter.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM
RedyreRottweilers

You bear a significant portion of the blame for your misfortunes for not having done your research better.

NO responsible breeder would EVER ship a puppy at 4 weeks. That is inhumane. Beyond the pale. I cannot imagine anyone not realizing that something is DREADFULLY WRONG when a breeder would agree to part with ANY puppy of ANY breed at 4 weeks.

Chalk it up to a learning experience, and as SV said, please NEUTER.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview
You got had by a BYB/PM. Research your breeder better next time, find a good one. Deal with your money loss and enjoy your pet. Please neuter.
We certainly do enjoy the pet. I want another one and was hoping that the phrase "I stand behind my dogs" meant more in the breeding world. If I could get half of that money back it would be much easier to buy another one (from a different breeder). I see the way this is heading though and I am losing optimism by the minute lol.

Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Naturally Natural

if your breeder is that bad (and it sounds like she was), then i seriously doubt theres any way youre going to get money back, period.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

I agree Doberkim.

It all sounds horrible so I can't see a happy ending with you getting any money back.

Suck it up. Learn from your mistakes.

You could try and pursue getting some money back but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

Did you sign a contract at all?