So confused.. paranoid about foods. HELP!

Roxy's CD

Ok, I know this section is full of questions from me, but we're in the process of switching brands and I'm kind of paranoid.

Ok, so today I went to get their kibble and canned. Eagle Pack is what we're going to try. We were on Wellness.

I got a variety of canned, and pup-man I made sure they weren't the "mixers". :)

I paid $75 for a 33lb bag, practically the same I was paying for Wellness.
I got the:
Holistic Select-Chicken Meal & Rice (most expensive forumla, apparently because it's more "organic" than the rest)

I spent almost half an hour in there looking at all the different forumulas!

They had a food that was enriched with glucosomine/chondroitin for healthy joints. Should I have gotten that seeing as Roxy is mildy dysplastic? Or seeing as she gets pills it's ok?!??!

Should Hades be on puppy food?
I was told that puppy food is very fatty and unless you have a skinny pup, you should stay away from it.

Should I have gotten the large breed forumla?
They had a large breed formula, but I have heard that large breed formulas can have extra fats and proteins that aren't needed.

Ahhh! I hope I did ok. I know my rule of thumb isn't a good one, but I figure the most expensive of a good brand should be the best. I just have no idea what to look for!

If Hades should be on puppy food, it's not a big deal seeing as their now being fed on schedules but is it better for him not to be? He's 10 months old.

Should both of them be on the large breed formula?
Roxy- (rott/dobe) 77lbs
Hades- (apbt mix) ~55-60

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Should Hades be on puppy food?
I was told that puppy food is very fatty and unless you have a skinny pup, you should stay away from it.
This is the only one that I kind of know an answer too, but I am not really sure since it is Eagle Pack and I dont know if their adult formula is "All Lifestages"...

Chloe is 8 months old and she has been on the Innova Adult formula since she was about 4-5 months old, but that is because the Innova Adult is an "All Lifestages" formula....

Last edited:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Eagle Pack makes great foods. You should be fine with your choice. :)

J's crew

I rotate between Innova Adult and Eagle Pack Holistic. They are both great foods and both are for all life stages.

From what I have heard you are much better off giving a supplement seperately than feeding the large breed formula as the amounts of Gluco/Chond are pretty low in the food.

pup-man

Permanent Troll
You made a good choice.

I believe the Chicken Meal and Rice is the puppies and adult formula, so both dogs can be on it with out any problems..BUT - If you insist on feeding some "puppy food", you can add their Puppy Chicken and Oat canned food along with their current kibble (I think it's the yellow can). Hope this helps :)

Roxy's CD

I saw that they had a canned for puppies, that would be much easier than buying to bags of $70 food. Sure it would last longer but I don't believe that they have a puppy "holistic select" forumla. That way they get the same kibble but different canned.

That's a great idea!

Members online

No members online now.