Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice and different views on this topic. I will continue to do research and I had already read the link for the Raw Food, very interesting...it is good to know that freezing the meat will help cut down on that type of problem.

At this point I will be doing a part kibble part raw diet. So far both of my dogs seem to be doing fine on this, no diarrhea, vomiting, etc. Their poop is nice and firm with no signs of constipation. Also my GSD puppy's coat has already had a noticable improvement.

Thanks again for all the great advice and links. Thankfully I love to research things and will continue to do so as there is always new information available.

Adrienne

p.s. I always have canned pumpkin on hand for my three bunnies, they get it once a week and more often when molting. Pumpkin is fantastic!!

Old 03-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
We go to a holistic veterinarian and asked her about feeding "regular" meat. They said that is what most people feed--it's pretty impossible for us to feed three large dogs organic meat. They do get organic veggies now and then. If we could feed organic meat, you bet we would. There is a bunch of crap in foods that aren't organic. We get the best meat that is not organic as much as possible.
Gaddy, here's a real shocker for you, and it should save you some money as well. The more expensive meats, like certified Angus, typically have more required tampering in pre-slaughter production. I use the Angus as an example because we've been "encouraged" to follow the system - yeah, right! Many times you're better off with the less popular, cheaper types of beef because it's been handled more cheaply pre-slaughter, meaning no hormones and shots in the young calf stage. Once an animal gets to a feed lot all bets are off though. The feeds even have additives.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Active Pup

Can I just say that you can change over to raw feeding 'cold turkey' it is completely different from changing kibbles. Also, however scared you are of going down the BARF route, do not feed kibble and raw in the same feeding times. It will do no harm but, raw and cooked ie; kibble have a different digestion period, this is what causes upset tums etc, not the change over. At least 40% of you raw feed should be rmb, with 30% muscle meat, good protein and calcium from 2 or 3 raw eggs per week (including shell) The shell is what all calcium products are measured against.

I have 7 Labradors who thrive on raw, but not all dogs do, it is not for everyone.
Balance has to be maintained in protein, ideally not over 22%, and the calcuim/phosphorous ratio is difficult to get right.

Dogs cannot digest fruits or vegetables, to get any benefit the MUST be puried in a juicer, but raw carrots etc are great training treats without the calories.

I wean my puppies onto raw from 3 weeks onward, they can suck a chicken wing to death, by 8 weeks they are munching and devouring them

ps, this is my 1st post, so be easy on me with your replies
Old 03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Felurian

Good post, Kayc, whether it was your first or your thousandth! Very practical and "digestable" information!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Now I know that I read somewhere on a link about raw food that you can put apple cider vinegar in their water and it is beneficial in some way. Of course I can't find that link so if anyone can shine any light on the situation I would really appreciate it!

Old 03-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Quigleyfied

ACV contains a lot of trace minerals and other nutrients. it's very healthy.

you can also use it topically for a variety of problems, for example to clean ears.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Ok, what is a raw diet...may i ask? Is it exactly what it sounds like? If you feed raw meat must you cook it first? I don't know about raw diets, so excuse me for sounding like an idiot (I'm used to feeding out of a bag). I am just a little curious at what it is and why people would feed it to their dog. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Quigleyfied

juliefurry - a raw diet is just that - raw meats, bones, veggies etc.

if you cook it, it's not raw anymore. that would be a homecooked diet, which is also a possibility, but different. you never want to feed cooked, roasted or otherwise processed bones ever.

as for why you'd feed it to your dog? it's the most natural thing for them to eat, simple as that. however, that does not necessarily mean that a completely raw diet is the best thing for every individual dog.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:25 AM
Quigleyfied

i'd also like to address another statement i previously missed:

Quote:
Also, however scared you are of going down the BARF route, do not feed kibble and raw in the same feeding times. It will do no harm but, raw and cooked ie; kibble have a different digestion period, this is what causes upset tums etc, not the change over.
it is actually incorrect that cooked and raw foods digest at different rates. at least with over 4 years of studies in nutrition under my belt, i have not found any validating, conclusive proof, even tho it is an often cited statement on many raw feeding boards and lists.

different nutrients are affected differently by heat and i know of too many people with regular feeding regimens including cooked and raw foods who do not have problems at all. stomach upsets result from a dog not being accustomed to a particular food, or allergies/sensitivities, but not particularly from raw and cooked items digesting at different rates.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

Question for Mordy about the ACV...I just got a link from another member of the forum and it talks about ACV...here is what is says...

ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar...the cultured type, bought in Health Food stores, not the kind you get at the supermarket off the shelf. ACV is used for aiding the immune system, helping to ward off fleas, etc. It is also good for the digestion of our animals. This can be put into their drinking water or mixed with their food.

http://www.critterchat.net/frequent.htm

so I am assuming that I am using the wrong kind then becasue I bought the Heinz ACV from our grocery store. Could you please let me know if I am using the wrong kind, I would really appreciate it.