Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabBreeder
With mixes you never know which side they are going to take after. Some go the way of the Lab and others go the way of the other side (GSD in Chloe's case, I believe)
Yep....I have tried sooo hard to get her in water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie
Expect chewing and such until about two years old.
Whoo hoo only 1 yr and 4 months left to go
Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 PM

I can give you some information on labs from a trainer perspective, but I own a lab mix myself and she's definitely different in energy level from the majority of purebred labs.
Due to their popularity here, I have at least 2-5 labs in every class (of ten dogs). The traits that I see in most are as follows: very high energy and excuberant, do very well in obedience if treated properly and trained using non physical methods. They're mischievious, comical, very strong, very sweet but can be overwhelming due to their size and energy level. Many people who get a lab for their growing family with young small children don't realize that they're not as calm as they had expected and I spend a great deal of time trying to explain that their lab is "normal" and just needs consistent training. They do love to chew but can be redirected easily with appropriate interactive toys or chew items. They need quite a bit of exercise compared to some other breeds but that's part of the joy of owning a lab.
Leadership is extremely important through control of resources, labs are no dummies and will take whatever position you leave open for them in your pack.
One thing that I always tell people is this:
The most wonderful thing about a lab is that they remain a puppy for a long time - and the worst thing about a lab is that they remain a puppy for a long time

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little
The traits that I see in most are as follows: very high energy and excuberant, do very well in obedience if treated properly and trained using non physical methods. They're mischievious, comical, very strong, very sweet but can be overwhelming due to their size and energy level. Many people who get a lab for their growing family with young small children don't realize that they're not as calm as they had expected and I spend a great deal of time trying to explain that their lab is "normal" and just needs consistent training. One thing that I always tell people is this:
The most wonderful thing about a lab is that they remain a puppy for a long time - and the worst thing about a lab is that they remain a puppy for a long time

I picked a few things from your post that interested me.
They are strong.
I hate to see a family with young kids get a lab and expect a "kid loving" dog with no training. Yes most are......but the problems come with their exuberance and excitibility. I have a 5 year old lab and a 6 year old boy, and a 2 year old lab and a 3 year old boy. You just have to know what to expect and how to avoid any mishaps........ like the butt tuck and run. Lol

We just get along great......and I wouldn't have it anyother way....I mean raising kids with dogs. But for the people that expect a picture perfect dog or kid with no effort is just fooling themselves.

And I agree.........about the best and the worst thing about labs. Lol
But then again, I really do enjoy it all. I guess I am crazy.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I picked a few things from your post that interested me.
They are strong.
I hate to see a family with young kids get a lab and expect a "kid loving" dog with no training. Yes most are......but the problems come with their exuberance and excitibility. I have a 5 year old lab and a 6 year old boy, and a 2 year old lab and a 3 year old boy. You just have to know what to expect and how to avoid any mishaps........ like the butt tuck and run. Lol

We just get along great......and I wouldn't have it anyother way....I mean raising kids with dogs. But for the people that expect a picture perfect dog or kid with no effort is just fooling themselves.

And I agree.........about the best and the worst thing about labs. Lol
But then again, I really do enjoy it all. I guess I am crazy.
One more thing that I did forget to mention, something that the clinic staff and I were discussing after one of my classes. When you see a lab who's crazy and out of control...just look to the handle end of leash and you'll usually see why. Like almost no other breed that I train, it's uncanny how clearly they show in their disposition how well they were treated and properly trained. While this can be said of most breeds, labs more predictably tend to do fantastically well with terrific owners and can appear to do the complete opposite with owner's who refuse to do the work.
They're wonderful but certainly not "bomb proof" as far too many people assume.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I could just about cry seeing an overweight, under exercised lab. That is not what they are meant to be.
Don't worry, me too. Overweight dogs bug me. It will be alone during the day but as soon as someone is home, the attention will be on it. Right now I have cats and I spend a great deal of my time with them but I wanted something that would play games with me. I do cross-country so when I don't have team practice my lab will be my jogging partner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabBreeder
With mixes you never know which side they are going to take after. Some go the way of the Lab and others go the way of the other side (GSD in Chloe's case, I believe).
Yup but I have very little preferance to what the other part of the mix is, I just know that I want it to be part lab (black is what I want, I like chocolate but they don't seem to be too common. So I figured I should at least research the lab well, if there is a purebred like from a puppy mill at the shelter I will probably go for that.
Quote:
You just have to know what to expect and how to avoid any mishaps........ like the butt tuck and run. Lol
Yup, that is why I am doing this, although I guess I forgot to mention common lab/dog mishaps.
Here is one lab I really want. It says mix but it looks a lot like a lab which is good though I'm not doubting it is a mix. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6047486
Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus007
Here is one lab I really want. It says mix but it looks a lot like a lab which is good though I'm not doubting it is a mix. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6047486
She sound..and looks wonderful!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little
One more thing that I did forget to mention, something that the clinic staff and I were discussing after one of my classes. When you see a lab who's crazy and out of control...just look to the handle end of leash and you'll usually see why. Like almost no other breed that I train, it's uncanny how clearly they show in their disposition how well they were treated and properly trained. While this can be said of most breeds, labs more predictably tend to do fantastically well with terrific owners and can appear to do the complete opposite with owner's who refuse to do the work.
They're wonderful but certainly not "bomb proof" as far too many people assume.
I'm actually excited about the training. I'm hoping that it will know basic commands when I adopt it though I realize it may not. I have never had any experiance training but I am trying to read up on it. Do you think they have videos at the library? I am sure they have books. I taught my cat to sit, although he only does it if I have a treat...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus007
I'm actually excited about the training. I'm hoping that it will know basic commands when I adopt it though I realize it may not. I have never had any experiance training but I am trying to read up on it. Do you think they have videos at the library? I am sure they have books. I taught my cat to sit, although he only does it if I have a treat...
I'm not sure how much up to date stuff they'll have at the library on dog training but if you find something, I can let you know if it's any good (I've read just about everything "dog" out there...
You've taught your cat to sit...I think you're in the right frame of mind for dog taining then!!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Yup, that is why I am doing this, although I guess I forgot to mention common lab/dog mishaps.
The one thing I have noticed about lab mixes, is that MOST of the time in Lab mixes, lab is the dominent feature so sometimes with Lab mixes it is very hard to tell if they are mixed or a purebred lab
Old 07-11-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416
The one thing I have noticed about lab mixes, is that MOST of the time in Lab mixes, lab is the dominent feature so sometimes with Lab mixes it is very hard to tell if they are mixed or a purebred lab
I've noticed that too Jess. Most lab mixes really do seem to have mostly lab qualities....except Soph, she's kind of mellow for a lab mix but she is definitely an odd exception IMO.