Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Default I don't really get it.

I've seen so many people on here claim that the only valid reason for breeding dogs is if they're "show quality" or "champions" or "perfect specimens of the breed." But why is that ok? How is that any better than breeding pets? Yes, it guarantees they are sound and stuff like that, but I don't see why people focus on that. What great benifit does showing have for the world? I just can't see why some people are so stuffy about why "faultless" dogs are "better" to breed. People can be adopting a pure bred dog from a shelter instead of bringing more into the world, even if they are "breed champions."
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

There is another thread going on that is devoted to this topic

Did you get to see the vet yet with your girl?

Thanks BP
Old 07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

No such thing as a faultless dog. And yes, I also think the other thread covers the question. And if you think we are saying "only breed to produce champions!!" the you haven't been reading what we've said at all.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Felurian

The thing is, no matter how many titles and how outstanding two dogs are, most of the pups in a litter are NOT going to be show dogs, so, for all practical purposes, realistic breeders of show dogs know that a high percentage of their dogs' pups are going to be pets . . . and that's fine with them. You aim for the very best, and then (hopefully) even the least is a healthy, happy, good tempered pup who can look forward to a long, wonderful life with their people.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Rebel With Cause

How is your dog ???
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Show Dog

Yep summit is correct There is no such thing as faultless! Showing is something I do and enjoy. I show whether I get ribbons or money those are just plus to me. At the end of the day have my beautiful girls not one else does they are part of my family. There is not reason to breed unless you have purpose. I have lots to say on the subject but to busy.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

Through the years I've seen many Golden Champions.... They were bred and raised for the ring. The Golden personality rang true, but because of being show quality they were not given the interaction Goldens need. Rolling in weeds, dirty ponds, attracted by toddlers, Yes . titles are good, but I truly liked my Goldens to be " normal " .... Of coarse I did the hip/eye/heart testing. But to me their kindness and gentleness meant more than the titles their ancestors had received.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Round and Round we go, where we'll stop no one knows
Old 07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Naturally Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Pups
I've seen so many people on here claim that the only valid reason for breeding dogs is if they're "show quality" or "champions" or "perfect specimens of the breed." But why is that ok? How is that any better than breeding pets? Yes, it guarantees they are sound and stuff like that, but I don't see why people focus on that. What great benifit does showing have for the world? I just can't see why some people are so stuffy about why "faultless" dogs are "better" to breed. People can be adopting a pure bred dog from a shelter instead of bringing more into the world, even if they are "breed champions."
i cant even follow what you are saying in some parts.

how is being sound, healthy and with proper temperament and working abilities for each breed, better than just breeding anything?

how is that any better?

are you asking why people should focus on overally sound (in mind and body) dogs? and saying thats a stupid thing?

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Rebel With Cause

I would just like to know if her pup went to the vet today and what the outcome was. Is she going to be ok ???