Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

Question Starving your dog......

Quite a few people have told me that it is a good thing to "Starve" Bailey (well any dog) once a week.......say on a Sunday.

B/c apparantly they don't need to take in food every day......and it helps with the Digestive system.

Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks BP
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Rebel With Cause

I can't possibly think that is a good thing. I never heard of it. I would not want to go hungry once a week for any reason . Even if it is said by others to be good I personally will not do it.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Felurian

I've read several times that a once a week fast is good for your dog. A bit hard on the owner, but good for the dog

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Top Dog

I think in theory it wouldn't hurt, in practice it's hard, seeing as my dogs will eat about anything outside anyway, lol.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Felurian

Yup, Fran . . . or like mine, will just go catch a fast food dinner . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-10-2006, 07:03 PM
:( only one :(

I've heard of it before, I personally don't think it's a good thing. From what I've read it doesn't hurt them physically and it may be beneficial but it's not good for them mentally. Their bodies can sustain missing a meal but it doesn't mean they aren't hungry and the mental trauma it induces isn't worth it. It's not like humans where we know we'll be fed the next day, they don't understand that concept.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny
I've heard of it before, I personally don't think it's a good thing. From what I've read it doesn't hurt them physically and it may be beneficial but it's not good for them mentally. Their bodies can sustain missing a meal but it doesn't mean they aren't hungry and the mental trauma it induces isn't worth it. It's not like humans where we know we'll be fed the next day, they don't understand that concept.
That is exactly why i don't do it with Bailey

He tells me when it is Breakfast, Lunch and Dinnertime.......Having him Barking for food and then not giving it would be Torture for him!

Thanks BP
Old 07-10-2006, 07:10 PM
whatszmatter

dogs do not undergo metal trauma from not eating a meal. They've been designed to be that way. Their digestive systems are set up to miss a meal now and again, infact they should be missing more than they are. 90% of the dogs I see everywhere are far too fat.

as a predatory animal they are meant to eat and rest and get some more food in a day or two, not 3 meals a day. It isn't hard on anyone mentally except for the owner.

Barking and letting you know its time to eat and not giving it to him is torture on you, not him. I fast my dog a couple times a month and some days she gets gets fed far too much and other days she gets light meals
Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Big Dog

We do this for tigers at the Carnivore Preservation Trust b/c it is the only way we can keep them from becoming obese (and in the wild they wouldn't always have a full stomach). Not sure about dogs though....
Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter
dogs do not undergo metal trauma from not eating a meal. They've been designed to be that way. Their digestive systems are set up to miss a meal now and again, infact they should be missing more than they are. 90% of the dogs I see everywhere are far too fat.

as a predatory animal they are meant to eat and rest and get some more food in a day or two, not 3 meals a day. It isn't hard on anyone mentally except for the owner.

Barking and letting you know its time to eat and not giving it to him is torture on you, not him. I fast my dog a couple times a month and some days she gets gets fed far too much and other days she gets light meals
Majority of dogs these days are overweight and if thats why they are being starved then fine.
Bailey isn't overweight so he doesn't "need" to be starved in order to maintain good weight.

It isn't "Torture" on me having him barking for food either....I have 3 kids that constantly ask for food..........so i am very much used to that.

Thanks BP