Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Itching..food?..if u were me..

Okay--8 week old poodle--itching all the time. Switched food to Natural Balance duck/potatoe kibble and some can. I can get anything...so if you were me desparate for your pet and not wanting steroid shots..what would you try first? I am so confused about the food...I guess there are alot of options...I will start thinking Innova EVO then I read something like--gas/runny poops and that makes me go to the next option until I go round and round. Is this a goosd food and if she does have an allergy--when will I see improvement on this food? Should I add yogurt or just keep it plain for at least a while...what other supps--which oil brand...what shampoo...what medications if any to relieve her--ughhh!!! I have 4 kids and really need some suggestions/help pretty please!!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Permanent Troll

What is she currently eating now?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

My puppy was on Nutro Ultra puppy food, and he was itching constantly. After trying several different brands, we've finally got him to quit itching by feeding him Royal Canin. I'm not sure what's causing your pup's itching, but Mordy should have some good advice
Old 07-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup-man
What is she currently eating now?
hello--she has been on the potatoe/duck formula by Natural Balance for 3 days. So frustrating seeing her itch so much
Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgurl6254
My puppy was on Nutro Ultra puppy food, and he was itching constantly. After trying several different brands, we've finally got him to quit itching by feeding him Royal Canin. I'm not sure what's causing your pup's itching, but Mordy should have some good advice
How long did it take?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:12 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

It could be seasonal allergies, also, no? have you talked to your vet about this?

Old 07-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Quigleyfied

If the food is the cause of the itching, it will take several days at the very least for the symptoms to disappear. I very much doubt it's a food allergy in a dog that young. Have you checked for fleas?

I would not add a large variety of supplements right now, just a good quality fish oil like for example Grizzly Salmon Oil.

Bathing can bring some relief, but make sure you use a very mild shampoo that does not strip the skin of its protective oils, such as for example Earthbath Clear Advantages.

Can you describe a little more in which areas the puppy scratches, under which circumstances, and what the skin looks like?
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
If the food is the cause of the itching, it will take several days at the very least for the symptoms to disappear. I very much doubt it's a food allergy in a dog that young. Have you checked for fleas?

I would not add a large variety of supplements right now, just a good quality fish oil like for example Grizzly Salmon Oil.

Bathing can bring some relief, but make sure you use a very mild shampoo that does not strip the skin of its protective oils, such as for example Earthbath Clear Advantages.

Can you describe a little more in which areas the puppy scratches, under which circumstances, and what the skin looks like?
Thank you mordy==I went and bought the grizzly salmon oil and then solid gold sea...something with kelp? Is that good?

She itches on her ears...feet(chews)--thigh

No fleas--had a dose of ivermectin Sunday...on frontline and itching started prior to this. Vet is supposed to call today to discuss our options.
So no food allergy at this age--and I have driven myself nuts over picking food
Old 07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

With my puppy, it took about a week on RC before I could see a huge difference in his coat. The itching stopped within two days though