Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel
I've flagged (in bold) all of the ingredients to avoid, with descriptions below. <snip> see original message - click here
OMG! WHOA!

Looks like I need to find a better food for Stogie

**MANY THANKS TO HERSCHEL FOR THAT INFORMATIVE POST!**

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 07-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

I previously fed Innova EVO but have now switched to Innova Adult (green bag). I'm quite happy with it.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Collie Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster
OMG! WHOA!

Looks like I need to find a better food for Stogie

**MANY THANKS TO HERSCHEL FOR THAT INFORMATIVE POST!**
lol dont worry I am personally a believer that if you can feed better than by all means go ahead (you are at a big advantage because you have a small dog which equals less food) but I also believe that Purina and Pedigree must know what they are doing. I mean they work with nutricionists and because they have put so much money into researching these things they are able to meet the dogs nutritional needs with lower quality things. Just IMO I know many people will disagree.

I want to feed a higher quality food because if there is something better for her I will feed it, but if you feed Pedigree it doesnt mean your dog is going to drop dead because of it. Just my thoughts
Old 07-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie
I mean they work with nutricionists and because they have put so much money into researching these things they are able to meet the dogs nutritional needs with lower quality things.
It's not just about meeting nutritional needs though. It's about keeping dogs healthy in the long run.

Dogs evolved as scavengers and are very adaptable when it comes to utilizing whatever is available to survive, but that doesn't mean it's particularly healthy for them.

In livestock this isn't as much of a problem, since the animals are slaughtered long before their natural life span ends, and the goal is to raise them as efficiently as possible - but the same principle doesn't apply to people's companion animals.

Yet the lower quality pet foods are manufactured under the same principles as livestock feed.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

My guys were on Wellness, even though their diet never changed drastically, (sometimes they'd get people food as a treat) Roxy would get the runs on and off quite often. I guess it was the food...

We've now, as of a couple of days ago, LOL, made the full switch to Eagle Pack, (kibble and canned).

I know I shouldn't have, but I switched them right away and didnt mix the two foods. Neither of them got diarrhea from the sudden change either. They love the canned and so far they don't seem to mind the kibble
Old 07-14-2006, 07:55 PM
treehugging clicker freak

All are currently on Innova EVO

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
What you lookin at?

Mijo was having huge issues with throwing up 3-4x a day, now we finally found eagle pack and has keep everything down It took us 4 different foods but we found the one that works1
Old 07-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

Max gets Nutro Senior. He also gets vegetables mixed in usually. I want to get him eating more wet food. He is really weird about eating sometimes. I have some Iams (I hate Iams) canned to use up and some Nutro. Right now, Max stays with my mom and she won't give him wet because "she doesn't like the smell of it"
Old 07-14-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie + Chessies
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
I loved that book!!

I feed Eagle Pack Holistic to the 4 small ones and Sophie gets Natural Balance Duck and Potato due to allergies. They get dehydrated salmon and white fish (with bones) for treats as well as carrots, green beans and apples and strawberries for a special treat.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

I still live with my parents and they've always had good luck with Nutro so right now Winston, Morgan, & Tia are eating Nutro Natural Choice Chicken meal, oatmeal, & rice formula. Its the only thing Winston has been able to eat without getting sick. Tango's eating Nutro Ultra adult at the moment but I'll be switching her soon. Just can't decide between Innova EVO, Innova adult or one of the California Natural formulas. Ideally I'd like to feed her raw, but its not possible as of right now.

Last edited by Toller_08; 07-14-2006 at 10:59 PM.