Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-12-2006, 06:02 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i like a high energy dog. a dog that can play fetch for hours and go out jogging and walking nearly a hour everyday. but i want it to be willing to be lazy with me too. i dont want a dog that wants to jump up and chew on me all the time! but the hearding group is so trainable it could have those bad habbits trained out of it.
yeah, my heart is set on a sheltie, border collie, or an aussie. i def will get a female sheltie because of all that fur that the males have. and i was planning on keeping it cut short (not sheard, but short cut) anyway.
no matter how the dog seemed around the rabbits when i am there i would never ever ever leave them alone together. but of course the rabbits will be in there cage and the dog will be there. i dont want to worry about a dog trying to break down the cage, and bark at them all the time. but if raised with them from a puppy i wouldnt have that problem anyway.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

shelties generally dont have a very strong prey dive, as they were bred mainly for herding, but some dogs do,
if raised with the rabbits from young you should be fine,

Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Are you dead yet?

Stevinski, for the record, herding behavior is simply a modified prey drive.

Rabbitsarebetter, I would check into the herding styles of the Sheltie, Aussie and Border Collie. Undoubtedly, the dog will try to herd the rabbits a few times and excessively grippy (bitey) herders could hurt the rabbits. I know Shelties use their bark quite a bit in their work, I'm not sure if they are particularly grippy. Aussies can be forceful at times, but I don't know that many working Aussies and some may be different than others. Borders tend to stay off the stock and use their eyes to control them.

Sounds like you would be a good home for an active herding breed.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I hope so. I prey that the conditions are right where I can share my home and love with one.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
Stevinski, for the record, herding behavior is simply a modified prey drive.

Rabbitsarebetter, I would check into the herding styles of the Sheltie, Aussie and Border Collie. Undoubtedly, the dog will try to herd the rabbits a few times and excessively grippy (bitey) herders could hurt the rabbits. I know Shelties use their bark quite a bit in their work, I'm not sure if they are particularly grippy. Aussies can be forceful at times, but I don't know that many working Aussies and some may be different than others. Borders tend to stay off the stock and use their eyes to control them.
i always knew that shelties used to nip there 'flock' to herd it in the direction they want, but i always thought that a prey dive was like, when they see a animal or something and just take off chasing it.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i could use help hearding the rabbits sometimes! LOL
they are out all the time unless i am sleeping or gone and they hate going back in their cages!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Shetland Sheepdog. They are on the smaller side, like to run, great agility, herders not hunters, they will give a couple barks if someone comes around. They are also smart and fast learners.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

what about a corgi?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/pembrokecorgi.htm
Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

You read my mind Senna!

Just a few thoughts about a corgi:

Pros-

-They make great running partners, even thoug it doesn't look like they would

-Sometimes you can wiggle past a small dog restriction on an apartment because they are so low to the ground,

-They are people oriented, but they usually aren't velcro dogs

-They are awesome at agility

-They have a lot of energy, but they aren't "hyper", it's more of a controlled energy

Cons-

-If they have strong herding instincts, they can me QUITE aggressive at it, they are small dogs that were bred to move huge cows and they did it my nipping.

-They can be very vocal (my female hardly ever barks, but my male never shuts up)

-I am not sure that they would make the best frisbee dog, they would if you just care about them bringing it back, but they aren't going to leap 4 feet into the air or do backflips to get it most of the time, it just isn't possible because of their body structure

-They probably are not going to be a big deterent if someone decides to break into your house, lol, although they can be territorial sometimes

As far as the rabbits go, it depends on the individual dog. My male I am sure would chase and hurt/kill a rabbit if he could get ahold of one. I have a chinchilla and he'll paw and bark at the cage and try to get at it, we have to watch him with the cat too. My female on the other hand, I can get the chinchilla (who is more hyper and flitty than most rabbits) out and Izzy (female corgi) will sit there and watch the chinchilla, if she can sneak up on him she will try and lick him . Both dogs came from the same litter, and are complete opposites.

Overall, they seem like a good fit to me.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.