Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Brussels Griffon

Yeah, if you really want a pure dog I kinda agree with stevinski.
My dog Sprout is a Brussels Griffon, which are REALLY closely related to the Affenpincher.
Sprout is a great dog.. and EXTREMELY intellegent! I do some obedience with him and we do agility too which is very fun. Sprout loves to sit and watch movies with me, but right when I get up he's like my shadow, he follows me EVERYWHERE! I tell ya, once you're a friend with a griffon, you've forever got a friend! He's more like a one person type dog but he is nice to everyone. What I mean is, we would do anything for eachother, and we have a bond that no one else will ever have with him, or me.
lol, and when I sleepwalk he comes with me and (from what my mom says) I go downstairs and he goes in my mom's room and wakes her up to come get me. He protects me
Then when he's in an excited mood he'll play fetch with his toys with me, and when Im tired he will manage to play with himself by flipping the toy up and catching it, so they'd be good for apartments too. And they're pretty darn small.
Hope I could help some
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

wow thanks for all the helpful info guys!!
i was starting to get discouraged
Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

affenpisncher just looks sooo small and yappy? are they yappy dogs? i still have my heart set on the hearding group dogs! or a husky mix.
still got my mind on a very well bred sheltie. i know three shelties who are not very vocal, and listen sooo well. and i know their breeder too!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Are you dead yet?

If you are interested in a herding breed, go for it.. Most of the herders are responsive and intelligent and would probably be fine with the rabbits if they were raised with them. If you do your research (which you obviously are - good for you ) and don't leave them unattended I wouldn't be too worried.

I would feel comfortable putting rabbits all around my Border Collie. Although he will chase and kill wild ones outdoors, he's played gently with several inside a house and a fenced yard, and never showed the slightest intention of hurting them.

With the herding breeds, though, there is always the question of "how much".. How much energy can you handle? how much drive? Some people want a low-key Sheltie, others a live-wire Border Collie.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:34 AM
Puppy Dog

If you pick a particular breed, going through a breed rescue would be a great idea, especially if you're concerned about prey drive with rabbits. Most of the dogs are in foster homes and have been (or can be) tested with small animals. Plus, then you know (more or less ) how drive-y/energetic the dog is, which is a good thing if you're looking into herding breeds and aren't sure "how much" (great term, RD!) dog you want.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinski
also you could try with a sheltie, but shelties can be hyper, try to go for show lines rather then working lines if you get a sheltie.
There are working lines for Shetland Sheepdogs? I've heard of that for other breeds (setters, pointers, etc.) but I never heard that Shelties have that sort of division between show/pet and 'original purpose' activity. Just curious.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
Quote:
also you could try with a sheltie, but shelties can be hyper, try to go for show lines rather then working lines if you get a sheltie.

There are working lines for Shetland Sheepdogs? I've heard of that for other breeds (setters, pointers, etc.) but I never heard that Shelties have that sort of division between show/pet and 'original purpose' activity. Just curious.
yuh, theres lots of working shelties, just not as much as other breeds, herding is the most common thing that they are worked in, and it is what they are bred for, but you get the ocassional sheltie trained in tracking, theres lots of herding lines for shelties which is what i would class as a working line.
The shelties from the herding lines often have alot more drive and energy then the dogs that are shown more in conformation.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Happy

Quote:
theres lots of herding lines for shelties which is what i would class as a working line. The shelties from the herding lines often have alot more drive and energy then the dogs that are shown more in conformation.
Neat. Are there physical differences too? I'm thinking of the setters, where field lines are less 'pretty' than the show lines, less feathering, etc. Personally, I think a less fluffy Sheltie might be a good idea.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
Neat. Are there physical differences too? I'm thinking of the setters, where field lines are less 'pretty' than the show lines, less feathering, etc. Personally, I think a less fluffy Sheltie might be a good idea.
there isnt much physical difference between the working lines and show lines, eccept obviously the working lines will be more out of standard then the show lines.

Quote:
I think a less fluffy Sheltie might be a good idea.
if you go for show lines and would prefer a sheltie with a lesser coat then its best for you to get a girl as their is alot of difference between the coats on a male and a female, the males have a much more superb, longer coat then the females.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Active Pup

i have a border collie.....it is fine around everything..........mine is trained bye me(13 year old) and is fine around me rabbit...it slept next to my rabbit once......hes a decent jogging partner..