Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-09-2005, 10:09 PM
blutack

Lightbulb Barking mad

What is it about a dog owner’s mentality? that imagines that the rest of mankind find it desirable or even cute to listen to the incessant noise generated by their four legged burglar alarm systems

Now if I purchased an intruder alarm system that was constantly being set off by the ordinary every day passing trade then I’m quite sure, apart from being sure to initiate the wrath of all your immediate neighbors, the owner of such a device would apologize unreservedly and quickly call out the service engineer to fix the problem.

Can anyone then explain to me why the four legged variety of such intruder alarms are allowed the freedom to pollute the very fabric of every day life. Tell me why it is that owners of such nuisances largely have no regard for others right to a peaceful existence and why such behavior is tolerated.

Maybe I’m missing something.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Felurian

Fish swim, ducks quack, people talk and dogs bark.

Now, if it's incessant, constant never ending yapping, that's another story. That is inconsiderate and someone needs to see to the needs and training of their animal, or find out who is tormenting it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-10-2005, 04:34 AM
blutack

Lightbulb

“Fish swim, ducks quack, people talk and dogs bark” Pigs also smell somewhat , which is why my neighbors would undoubtedly object to me keeping one, even I fear, if they loved pork, and it only smelt a little.

You should also be aware that dogs bark in the main because of their inbuilt and sometimes inbred territorial genes and not as you suggest because of human torment and lack of training. Can I suggest therefore that it would be more effective to educate and train the owners of such animals before a purchase is made?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Felurian

Normal territorial behaviour doesn't prompt barking unless someone or something is encroaching on a dog's territory. A reasonably intelligent dog will learn quickly, with some attention from the owner, what constitutes his own boundaries and what is beyond his responsibility.

Yes, people should research a breed before they bring it home. An Aussie or a Border Collie, for instance, is a terrible choice for a small suburban property.

Some dogs will also act on animosity they sense between their owner and another person and will react accordingly, barking and even growling sometimes.

But dogs have reasons for their actions; they are not random creatures. We may not be able to figure out what the reason is at the time, but there always is one, even if it is as simple as boredom.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-10-2005, 08:57 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

have you spoken to the owners? We had to large dogs that barked off and on all night at an old residence. I asked one neighbor how he tolerated it, he said..I just take my hearing aid out..don't bother me a bit..me i investing in another pillow..one of one ear, and the other..well you know...Can't pick you neighbors, and you can't pick their dogs either. There are noise ordinances in the city that you can call and site a complaint if it is bad enough, but i would talk to the people first.
Personally my dogs are inside in bed with me, but if Mary ever barks and lets me know something is out there, I trust her completely. Once it was a man hiding between my house and the next door neighbors. He was trying to hit my dogs with a pipe. There was a police cruiser at the end of the street parked..and waiting, they just didn't know where the guy was hiding. I strolled out the front door..(while my dogs were barking) and pointed..the police took care of everything. Without the dogs..that man might have been in either my house, or my neighbors.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Island dweller

Yup^ Last night we were woken up by BOTH Maverick and Mikey barking and having a fit. (Maverick rarely barks and it takes a lot for him to be a 'guard dog') It wasn't a person out there but another dog on their property. And they were warning him off. I feel so safe with Mikey around and he only barks if there is an intrusion of some sort. He's more of a whiner. LOL

Pigs, btw, are very clean animals. Unless people make them live in filthy conditions. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/pigs/smart.html And some pigs - like pot belly pigs - do live in homes quite easily. They've even been heros.

I don't think that dogs 'pollute the very fabric of of everyday life' any more than a baby wailing at all hours, or a loud party, or the jets flying overhead, or the rush hour traffic contributes to noise pollution. In fact, I think that dogs enrich our lives even more by being a part of the family. They are concerned about their territory and 'pack' and want to stand up for it.We can't even ask that of people sometimes.

Dogs are quite able to learn a 'quiet' command. And once mastered it is easy to teach appropriate barking.

So, what brings this up? Do you have a noisy neighbour? A dog that barks all the time? What does your neighbour say about it?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Top Dog

Actually, I can attest that pigs (the potbelly variety anyway) are intensely intelligent and absolute joys to live with. It is an honor to share your couch with 4 dogs and a pig.

What I find interesting is that you chose to join a dog lovers' forum and leap right into a generalized complaint about dog owners. Not even irresponsible dog owners; just dog owners. I would infer from this that you are not yourself a dog owner, let alone a dog lover. So do you have a genuine interest in understanding the reasons the offending dog may be barking continuously? Or an interest in learning what to do about it? Or are you just looking for someone to complain at?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:13 PM
tasmanian devil sheltie

I'm not sure if you can teach a dog this, but Declan has a really low warning growl/bark that he uses. The first time he used it, he was a teensy teensy 5 month old puppy, and I'd fallen asleep on the sofa with him. My roommate came back late from art class, and Declan made his low "wrrrrrrrrup" in my ear & gave me a heart attack. Then I looked up in the dark & saw someone in my living room & had another heart attack- before I realized it was my roomie trying to come home quietly & not wake me up! I like the fact that he tries to warn me about big scary dangerous things that he hears, like neighbors out on their deck, in a nice quiet way. He always gets a little carrot stick for giving one of his quiet warnings, but so far he's caught nothing worse than roomies sneaking in late.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:43 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

oh DEclan is cool..Mary does that too..When i moved out of my Mom's the second time (child in tow) she said would i please leave my little dog for she wouldn't feel safe without her. Scamper just came and did a nod of the head...she was my work dog. I took her to North Star kennels, the animal warehouse..as well as old boss's. I don't even remember asking if she could come..she knew how to stay out of the way..and not bother anyone..yet if you were in the back and a customer came in she would come back and give you one of her nods......dogs rule
Old 03-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Dog Spoiler

I tolerate it cuz I'm a dog owner. I don't blame the dog, rather the owner is at blame. Either way, I won't complain when his dog barks, He shouldn't when mine bark. Its a mutual agreement.

-Jon