Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little
I think that one thing that some people who have posted are worried about is not will she have trouble delivering, but rather will her uterus hold up while these pups grow too large. You said it was a chow mix and she's only 10 lbs herself, that's the biggest concern, her little body may not be able to accommodate such large puppies. An abortion (if it could even be done) would only be done to save her life...if it's even necessary. Only your Vet will know for sure which way to go with her.
You're right, as you said you're getting her to the Vet as soon as possible to see what he/she says. Who knows, it still may be a false pregnancy...although it sounds pretty real to me..
Good Luck and please keep us all up to date.
I wish more places had 24 hour clinics. There are three 24 hour animal hospitals within a five mile radius of where I live..

Thank you so much for the perspective. I now understand peoples' advice of action as soon as possible much more clearly. I'll just do whatever is needed so it is as safe as possible, as soon as possible.
I wish there were more 24 hr. clinics too!
Old 07-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Pups
I think an abortions seems way to drastic.
You wouldn't think that if you'd seen some of the horrors that can result from poorly planned or unplanned breedings (during pregnancy, whelping and the first few weeks of life for pups). Nor if you had euthanized a few hundred dogs.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
I always heard it was dangerous to spay a dog in heat, let alone a pregnant dog!
Get a good vet. At the shelters, we spayed plenty of pregnant bitches with no problem.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview
You wouldn't think that if you'd seen some of the horrors that can result from poorly planned or unplanned breedings (during pregnancy, whelping and the first few weeks of life for pups). Nor if you had euthanized a few hundred dogs.

Do the things you're referring to really happen to perfectly healthy dogs, or is it more common with puppy-mill type situations. I can understand what you mean, though.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Do the things you're referring to really happen to perfectly healthy dogs, or is it more common with puppy-mill type situations. I can understand what you mean, though.
The best, most responsible, educated and experienced breeder in the world can have horrid things happen in breeding, to their bitch and pups. It's always a chance. Some things cannot be prevented. Some things you cannot control - dogs are living beings and things happen with their bodies that are uncontrollable. There are always risks involved with breeding, that's why only very educated, experienced people should do it.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

Dogs get euthanized all the time just because of overcrowding in shelters. I'm sure 95% of them are healthy.

But in your case, your bitch can die if she is really pregnant and you're doing nothing now - imagine being pregnant with babies from humans twice your size or more... Where is the closest 24h clinic from you? Maybe you could just call them and ask for their opinion, even if you can't go that far.

Good luck, and keep us posted... might just be a false pregnancy.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
But in your case, your bitch can die if she is really pregnant and you're doing nothing now
You make it sound like I don't care. I love my dogs as much as it is humanly possible, and I don't want anything to happen to her. I am trying to get her in to the vet ASAP, and I'm doing my best to seek out advice and help her. If I didn't care and I was doing "nothing" I wouldn't be on this site panicking, asking and challenging questions to get informed about pregnancies by the widest amount of experienced people I can.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Island dweller

You have gotten really good advice here but I'm not sure you have heard it. I hope you will consider having an emergency spay done on your bitch. Weren't your vet clinics open for the last five weeks?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Crazy Dog!

First of all, an 'abortion' isnt quite the same in people as in dogs. Dogs also have a MUCH higher pain tolerance than humans do. If you were going to have her spayed anyway, why is it such a big deal??? Just withhold her food Sunday night and take her in for a spay FIRST thing Monday morning? They do spays on pregnant bitches, and even bitches in heat. It is possible, and it is not any more invasive than a regular spay. Some vets are hesitant to do it, but if you explain that you think she has been bred I'm sure he would be more than happy to perform the spay. It seems as though even if it was an 'accident' you are coming up with reasons to not take action. Get her in there ASAP.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
You have gotten really good advice here but I'm not sure you have heard it. I hope you will consider having an emergency spay done on your bitch. Weren't your vet clinics open for the last five weeks?
I know, and i even mentioned that I am glad for everyone's advice and I'm considering all of it. Why did you jump to those conclusions? Of course they were, but at 5 weeks she started showing and we put two and two together.

Quote:
First of all, an 'abortion' isnt quite the same in people as in dogs. Dogs also have a MUCH higher pain tolerance than humans do. If you were going to have her spayed anyway, why is it such a big deal??? Just withhold her food Sunday night and take her in for a spay FIRST thing Monday morning? They do spays on pregnant bitches, and even bitches in heat. It is possible, and it is not any more invasive than a regular spay. Some vets are hesitant to do it, but if you explain that you think she has been bred I'm sure he would be more than happy to perform the spay. It seems as though even if it was an 'accident' you are coming up with reasons to not take action. Get her in there ASAP.
I'm just anxious and worried. I was confident everything was going to be okay, and today there was a huge turn for the worse on what could happen to Lucy. My "reasons not to take action" are fear and worry on how it's going to go. It takes more than words from people I don't even know to change my mind so drastically about risky surgeries. And if you really think i just don't want to "take action," why on earth would I put my dog through something that could hurt or even kill her??? I'm doing the best I can. Just accept that.