Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Show Dog

Question C-sections

Are they safe? How long does mom have to stay after its performed? Do Vets allow you to stay while its performed?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:43 PM
and Fozzie B!

It's one of the risks that every breeder has to take; it is financially straining, emotionally straining (as the female could die, it's not common but it is always a possibility), and all of the time that will have to be spent bottle feeding.

As far as I know, the owner can stay, and the female should probably stay for at least 24 hours, like with most serious surgeries.

I just read about the possibility of bringing your girl in to get a c-section =( I'm sorry. I wish you & her the absolute best. You should definitely call your vet and go over all of your questions with him/her, different vets have different policies and I think a lot depends on how the surgery goes.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

not trying to hijack the thread just wanted to know... if the dog has a c section does that mean it won't nurse the puppies? if so why? just wondering cause of the bottle feeding comment

Old 07-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Show Dog

A section costs around here 800-1000 but that would be for a Boxer size dog so might be cheaper for a chi.

BTW its not wise to breed her again if she has to have a section.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:54 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

C-sections cost about $400 and my vets let me bring her home about 1/2 after she wakes up. Dogs can still nurse the puppies, but its just that they may not want to. Especially if they arent in labour when they need a section. If they have one or two before the section is needed then you should be fine. Without that they really have no idea where the puppies came from or whos they are. C-sections are very routine surgeries and complications are rare, but there is always that risk. Let just hope you won't need to go that route.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Top Dog

When i had Ralph with me, he was delivered by C-Section (large puppies).
It was performed at lunchtime and i was at there house that evening watching mummy in the Whelping box feeding them

Thanks BP
Old 07-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I have a question ? I am not into the whole breeding thing but being and working in the animal field for over 12 years I do know that some breeds are high risk for giving birth such as bulldogs,pugs, and usually require C-sections. Now, I have also heard of breeders of bitches that have had a hard time giving birth spaying them during the C-section after a first litter to prevent further breeding and further complications in the future. Is that common practice and best for the bitch?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Yes it is somewhat common. Especially if the uterus is infected. It doesn't take much time to spay them once they are already in there for a c-section.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_ACD_for_me
I have a question ? I am not into the whole breeding thing but being and working in the animal field for over 12 years I do know that some breeds are high risk for giving birth such as bulldogs,pugs, and usually require C-sections. Now, I have also heard of breeders of bitches that have had a hard time giving birth spaying them during the C-section after a first litter to prevent further breeding and further complications in the future. Is that common practice and best for the bitch?
I believe if females can't be bred and whelp naturally than they shouldn't be bred.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Show Dog

Well hopefully my Female will avoid the section all together and deliver a healthy litter of pups and she will do it effortless!

(I'm saying my prayers!)