Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 PM
LabBreeder

Thumbs up Dog Food/Peanut Butter treats...OK?

I was wondering if making a "ball" of dog kibble and peanut butter, then freezing it, is o.k. for a treat? It sounds healthy enough and it will last longer cause it's frozen.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

A lot of people give their dogs peanut butter as a treat.

I used to stuff their kong with PB and freeze it but PB gives my guys the really bad runs.

I forget but I believe Mordy said PB is ok as long as it doesn't have some sort of oil.... hmmm..

Edit: Found it:

Quote:
Regular stuff that you would eat yourself too.

With the peanut butter, make sure it doesn't contain sugar or corn syrup, no excessive amounts of salt, and if at all possible, no hydrogenated oils.

Also, don't stuff the entire Kong full of peanut butter. It's way too fatty and contains too many calories. You can mix your dog's regular food with a little bit of cream cheese or peanut butter and then stuff it in the Kong, or use pieces of fruit and/or veggies.

Mordy
Old 07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Yorkie Love

All Natural PB is better then regular because it has less sugar.

I think the treat you are talking about sounds good, I may just try it.... Thanks for the idea...lol

Elissa
Old 07-06-2006, 07:32 PM
LabBreeder

Cool! I might have actually come up with a new idea that will sweep chazzers off their paws...LOL...j/k

I know others probably already do this, but at least I know they won't get stopped up or gooey or something really bad. I thought I remembered seeing that thread before...guess I'd forgotten about it.

It's regular peanut butter, but it's only enough to hold the kibble into a ball for it to freeze. I also put a little along the top of those bone treats and froze some of them as well. They liked the kibble balls better though.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Top Dog

Another good treat that my dogs love is yogurt. It's super healthy for them and when it's frozen it takes awhile to eat.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Big Dog

I was under the impression dogs shouldnt eat fruit, yogurt, stuff that has sugars in it... can give them worms amung other bad results ???

I do give my dog peanut butter though... and he loves it.

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 07-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

Toaster - look around the forum. There's plenty of stuff on it.

My guys eat strawberries, nuts, lettuce, (not grapes anymore) and potatoes.. the list goes on. Fruits and veggies are just fine for poochies.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:12 PM
LabBreeder

Shoot...mine have already had some carrots and whole potatoes today along with some pork. Veggies, meats and fruits have always been o.k. in my book as long as it's in moderation and they don't get sick from it (diarrhea or vomiting). I don't think a dog can get worms from eating certain foods. Worms are usually spread via fecal matter, right? Unless it's heart worms and that's them blasted mosquitos that play a part in that.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Top Dog

That is a good idea. I think I am going to have to try it. I always make Brady peanut butter "sandwiches" out of his dog treats and peanut butter. He loves peanut butter. I even let him lick the last of a jar when it is about to be finished.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Big Dog

Let me ask this, if I were to feed my dog fresh human foods, wouldn't he stop eating his dog food? I was very much under the impression dog food is much better for dogs vs human foods.

My dog loves human treats, we sneak him tastes of this and that... but my feat is he would eventually stop eating his food entirely

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture