Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Collie Crazy

Its weird for shelters to not spay/neuter before adopting the dog out, at least I have never heard of it (doesnt mean it doesnt happen I just havent had that experience)

Anyway, take your dog to the vet to see if they can do an X-ray or Ultrasound to determine how far along she is, and if the pups are fine for her to carry. I know many people will bash me for this but I do not believe in spay/aborts. Maybe too large life threatning pups would be different, but if I ever have to make the decision I will let you know.

Also I find it a bit weird that a Shelter would not be able to tell a dogs age, given that a 3 month old has puppy teeth while a 1 1/2 year old dog will have fairly clean adult teeth. I can understand a first time dog owner, but come on, a shelter?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

Around here, some shelters fix and some don't. Our shelter spays and neuters everyting before it is adopted. The shelter one county over gives out certificates for when the animal reaches a certain age. I personally couldn't see doing it that way, because you know many people won't bother and then you have more unwanted babies.
When we adopted our cat from a shelter in a different state, she was unspayed. They gave us a coupon that could only be redeemed at the vet of their choice. We took her a week later to be spayed and declawed (before we understood declawing). She ended up getting a bad infection form the vet that the shelter refused to cover the antibiotics for. I later heard that that particular vet was an absolute butcher. I would have rather payed our vet the money and kept our girl healthy.
I do find it odd that the shelter misjudged her age. Although some dogs can look like pups on the outside, teeth don't lie.