Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Active Pup

Default Pregnant?

I adopted a female dog from a shelter a few months ago. I was not planning on having any puppies at all. When I adopted her I was told she was three months old. About two months after we brought her home she went into heat. I only knew this because my husbands grandmother breeds english cocker spaniels and I asked her what was going on. We were going to spay her when she was six months old. We took her to get some of her shots and they did a physical and told us she was at least a year and half old. We were shocked because she is a small dog. We figured it must be the jack russell in her. Well a little over a month and ago she started to get enlarged teats, and her back side is swollen, but there is no change in her stomach size at all. However her teats have continued to grow. I took her to a vet to be looked at and they said she looks pregnant, but still no large tummy. I am told that she may not show until she is about to give birth. Is there any other reason for a dog to look so pregnant and not be?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 PM
I Love My Belgian

Many dogs who go through a heat develop a "pseudo" or false pregnancy. The teats swell up, she may even produce milk, she might start nesting or using stuffed animals as her puppies. It can be psychologically stressful, so try and make her environment as stress-free as possible. Keep in mind that many dogs do not get a big belly for several weeks into their pregnancy, sometimes dogs barely grow a tummy at all. The only way to really know if she is pregnant is to get an ultrasound. Some vets are also very talented at feeling around the stomach and seeing if there are puppies.

Good luck
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 AM
F150 and a .30-06

It could be a false preg. I would get a diff vet and ask for a x-ray/ultra sound to be 100% if you are expecting pups

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Twin 2.0

Was she exposed to any males during her heat? Just going into heat alone does not a pregnant dog make.

A trip to the vet is the best and easiest way to tell.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Active Pup

Exclamation

My dog went into heat a little while before we went on vacation. We had left her in the care of my neighbors. She had a problem with jumping our fence so I asked them to please put her inside or keep her on her lead. When we got back she was no longer bleeding, and they did tell us that they let her off her lead and she had jumped out of our yard and disapeared for a day. I have now chosen to leave her with more responisble people, but that is beside the point. I KNOW that being in heat alone does not make a dog pregnant. I am not stupid. I know a thing or two about the reproductive process. So yes she most likey did lock up with another dog while we were gone.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Active Pup

Thank you , this was very helpful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsoul
Many dogs who go through a heat develop a "pseudo" or false pregnancy. The teats swell up, she may even produce milk, she might start nesting or using stuffed animals as her puppies. It can be psychologically stressful, so try and make her environment as stress-free as possible. Keep in mind that many dogs do not get a big belly for several weeks into their pregnancy, sometimes dogs barely grow a tummy at all. The only way to really know if she is pregnant is to get an ultrasound. Some vets are also very talented at feeling around the stomach and seeing if there are puppies.

Good luck
Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

I'd get her spayed ASAP, it'll solve the problem either way.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Big Dog

As others have mentioned the only way to know for sure if she is or is not pregnant is an ultrasound.

I would recommend scheduling one immediately...and having her spayed regardless of what the results is.

The truth of the matter is the spaying should have already been done.

I honestly am surprised that the shelter you got her from placed her without first spaying.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Active Pup

we had to sign a consent to have her spayed by 6 months of age. When we adopted her we were told she was 3 months.... so we had three months to do it, we are a week away from that date, but if she is pregnant they will takes the pups and place them with homes and allow us to spay her then, after having the pups. Since we were told she was three months we had no reason to suspect she may become pregnant, however, she was over a year and a half old, as the vet informed us. We have decided to go ahead and take her in to the vet and have them do a test to make sure, if she is just about to birth then we will wait to spay, if she is just pregnant or not at all we will go ahead and spay her immediately. Thank you for all of your advice..
Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Hmm sounds like a load of trouble. Take her to the vet for the ultrasound is all I can say.

Just wondering, what will happen to the pups if you spay a pregnant dog?