Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Trained by an Airedale

Question Heartworm injection?

Is there another type of Heartworm injection other than ProHeart 6? My vet has given us the option of a yearly injection or tablets, although still got to have Heartworm test first. I just noticed on one of the threads a warning not to use ProHeart 6 but looking it up on google it says that is used every 6 months not annually and has been withdrawn? Of course I'll check out the name of the drug she is offering when I go back to the vets but like to be armed with any knowledge I can get beforehand.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Lhasa Lover

I have always given the Heartguard chewable tab's. I have heard some people
say to stay away from the shots. I'm sure you'll get lots of answers here
Old 03-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Felurian

I don't know enough about the long term heartworm preventatives to trust them yet.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Puppy Dog

wow I have never heard of a yearly injection before.. we always just used heartgard too...

anyone here use the injections before?
Old 03-09-2005, 02:16 PM

never heard of the injection..I like Interceptor tabs...WOW, do they love those..as if it's a big treat!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

A couple of yrs ago I asked my vet about the injection & they weren't offering it. Then I have heard some bad reports others have experienced with their pets or a friend of a friend, etc. I'll stay with the tried & true monthly pills.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

We've done the six months injections the last three times(so a year and a half). My beagle was getting it from my dads vet a couple years before that and she is a healthy old dog. I just got a postcard saying they need their heartworm meds but it doesn't say what kind. So I don't know if they stopped using it or not.
It was a lot easier for me because all my dogs have different size tablets and I never seem to remember when to give them and it just made things so much easier. My dad switched because ginger(the beagle) got heartworms while on the pill. Thats why the vet started carrying the med. Apparently its less likely to happen on the shot. Our vet didn't want to admitt they gave the shot because they make a lot more money off the tablet/pill things. It wasn't something they offered up. He said it was just as safe though and I've trusted him so far. We still get them tested every six months too(I know some vets don't) even if they have the shot, just tomake sure they don't have it. I've heard of dogs getting a second dose and just keeling over dead because they thought they didn't have them without testing. The worms died but the heart was to damaged to repair all at once. Blah-that was long!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:15 PM
no touchy

We ever used anything on our dog's but Heartguard.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Quigleyfied

martine, is it called prohert 12? i would not trust either of them, as the parent company is very unwilling to listen to reasoning from owners who have lost their dogs due to the product and just dismiss it s unrelated.

check out http://www.dogsadversereactions.com and read all the information thoroughly.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 AM
Trained by an Airedale

Thanks everyone for your responses & Mordy for that link - very interesting reading! I'm certainly not going to take any chances and will opt for the monthly pills. I don't know the name of the injection yet, back into the vet's with her next Tuesday so will post it on this thread then if it is something else other than Proheart.