Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 07-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

Dr2little, if we're thinking the same thing, that's why I intially was leaning towards pits having a stronger bite than your average dog.

From the inside there is a large mass of muscle in the cheeks. I was under the impression that it worked like any other muscle, contracted and pulled the joint tight (jaw). If there was more muscle that would make the closing action stronger/faster. Hades and Roxy have very different mouths. Roxy does not have in any way shape or form, the ball that Hades has on either side of his cheeks from the inside. It's about 2inces in diameter, and you can grab it from the outside easily and rub it, it feels just like a muscle, and a ball at the same time. LOL
Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 PM
rottiegirl

My opinion on dog muscle....

One dog might be stronger than another dog, because one is more physically fit than the other. One dog might use their jaws more than another dog. All dogs dont build muscle at the same rate, because some are more active than others.

Another point...

Different breeds have different shaped heads and muzzles. A dobes head and muzzle is longer than a bull mastiffs head, so a dobe has more area on its head to grow muscle. They both could have the same amount of muscle, but it would be more pronounced in a bull mastiff, because he has less area. Same goes for all breeds. All breeds are capable of growing the same amount of muscle.

Another thing.... a pits head, a presa canario head, a rotties head, etc. is wider than a golden, dobe, grey hound, etc. A wider skull can give the impression of bigger jaw muscles. The wide skull pushes the muscle out, so the muscle looks more pronounced.

It has nothing to do with breed.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Show Dog

Once again, I've not read the whole thread but this is what I have on the subject...

http://lassiegethelp.blogspot.com/20...ite-force.html
Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 PM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

Quote:
Pitts have more psi than other dogs?
No. I think Rottweilers do.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

That's just absurd. I've heard this myth before. It is the stupidist, most ignorant, most physically impossible piece of propoganda horse crap I think I've ever heard.

All domestic dogs hang around 350 MAX, INCLUDING pit bulls.

Great white sharks are 400.

A lion around 600.

Hyenas, one of the most powerful jaws out there, hit 1000.

2600 is the range of crocodiles and allegators.

A pit bull CAN'T bite with that much force, its against the freaking laws of physics. At least these lunatics could think to come up with propaganda that is at least PLAUSIBLE??

If pit bulls had the bite force of crocodiles, then they would actually rip off limbs of adult humans in one bite. In fact, not even rip them off, sever them, including the bone, in one stroke. I've never heard of that happening . . . and I'm sure no one else has either . . . at least, not from any reliable source. Why . . . because its not possible for a animal with a dog's anatomy to do it . . .

As for locking jaws, don't get me started. Try looking at some dog skulls.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Fishies!

Hyenas are not dogs, for the record. They are most closely related to CATS. (The cat family tree is crazy)

All else being equal, the shorter the muzzle, the stronger the bite force. Human bites HURT and we have no jaw muscles. So a pit should have a stronger bite than a collie, but its not a huge difference.

As for Rotties, there is that story of the Patrol Rottie snapping a suspects femur after he kicked it in his attempt to escape. The dog readjusted its bite from the lower leg to the femur and bit down. I don't know what the bite force was, but that would be a very unhappy dog to do that.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedogs View Post
Once again, I've not read the whole thread but this is what I have on the subject...

http://lassiegethelp.blogspot.com/20...ite-force.html
thanks for the link gamedog..great read.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Dafuq?

I know some don't like the woman, but Diane Jessup wrote in her book that dogs will bite differently depending on what drive they're in, their level of fatigue, and other factors. Makes sense to me. There's a video on YouTube (search bite force competition and you should find it) which tests a Pit Bull, Rottie and GSD. The Rottie won out over the other two, with the Pit Bull coming in last. However, I just can't believe its as simple as all that.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Hyenas are not dogs, for the record. They are most closely related to CATS. (The cat family tree is crazy)

All else being equal, the shorter the muzzle, the stronger the bite force. Human bites HURT and we have no jaw muscles. So a pit should have a stronger bite than a collie, but its not a huge difference.

As for Rotties, there is that story of the Patrol Rottie snapping a suspects femur after he kicked it in his attempt to escape. The dog readjusted its bite from the lower leg to the femur and bit down. I don't know what the bite force was, but that would be a very unhappy dog to do that.
I did not intend to imply hyenas are dogs . . . they are more closely related to cats . . ., and mainly related to themselves. But they are some of the most powerful land carnivore jaws.

And as for the relative strength of bites . . . its possible that pit bulls have a stronger bite than other dogs . .. but 2600 psi is impossible.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
I did not intend to imply hyenas are dogs . . . they are more closely related to cats . . ., and mainly related to themselves. But they are some of the most powerful land carnivore jaws.

And as for the relative strength of bites . . . its possible that pit bulls have a stronger bite than other dogs . .. but 2600 psi is impossible.
Did you know that they are more closely related to Meerkats than Cat....just thought I would share that tad bit of Animal Planet knowledge that I hold