Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
LabBreeder

I don't know. Guess that's why it's inconclusive, lol .
Old 07-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Very good point Tucker... Maybe get a really annoying person to poke their eyes and pull their tail??? HAHA
Old 07-04-2006, 10:25 PM
LabBreeder

Ya know, lol...that still wouldn't work with alot of dogs.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

2600 psi is a ridiculous number.

Thats gotta be waaaaaayyyy off
Old 07-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

Its also been proven that golden retrievers have a stronger bite than a pit bull..lol that should tell you alot about the BS those lawyers posted.

And yes, it has been scientifically proven that no dog has a "lock jaw"..its biologically impossible...they're dogs..not super robots...
Old 07-08-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
Its also been proven that golden retrievers have a stronger bite than a pit bull..lol that should tell you alot about the BS those lawyers posted.

And yes, it has been scientifically proven that no dog has a "lock jaw"..its biologically impossible...they're dogs..not super robots...
Not sure where you heard that (goldens bite pressure) but I highly doubt it. Just by looking at the structure difference between the two would make it pretty unlikely that I golden would "out psi" a pit. While it's outrageous to me that the locking jaw myth is still being debated, I think it's pretty clear that structurally they are capable of a stronger bite pressure than many/most breeds. I've yet to see a golden capable of holding and swinging from a rope by its teeth the way a pit can. Stronger bite pressure means nothing when a dog has a lovely temperment, as so many pits do..

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

I saw a show about this on one of the animal/science channels. They measured everything from domestic dogs (Rottie, GSD and Pit), these dobie sized wild dogs in Africa, lions, sharks, alligators and turtles. They had some kind of meter that they placed inside bait. For the domestic dogs they used Sch dogs and put the meter in a bite sleeve. They got the dogs all excited like they'd be for doing bite work and let them go.

Of the dogs, the rottie had the hardest bite, followed by the GSD and then the pit. The wild dogs were in there somewhere but not a lot different than the domestic dogs. It wasn't anywhere near 2600lbs, more like in the 300 range if I remember correctly, so the 350 number that has been posted is probably about right.

I can't remember if it was the snapping turtle or the alligator that had the hardest bite. It was up there in the thousands of lbs range. Even the shark didn't bite as hard.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
I saw a show about this on one of the animal/science channels.......
I saw that same show on Animal Planet (I think), the PSI on dog bites (according to the scientists involved) is most related to the size of the dog not the breed. In the test they used a Rott, GSD and a Pit. They looked at the anatomy of several dogs (skulls and muscles) and found that Pit Bulls had nothing to give them a stronger bite. The Rott was 20lbs+ bigger than the GSD and the GSD was 20lbs+ bigger than the Pit. They said that breed has very little to do with bite power, they ended the segment saying that a 100lb Pit Bull would have about the same jaw strength as any 100lb dog.

By the way the strongest jaws in the animal kingdom according to that show was the Nile Croc at almost 3000psi. I was suprised that they were more than a Great White shark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little
I think it's pretty clear that structurally they are capable of a stronger bite pressure than many/most breeds. I've yet to see a golden capable of holding and swinging from a rope by its teeth the way a pit can........
When a Pit Bull is hanging from that rope it is not superior strength but rather lighter body weight (most pits that do that are 50ish lbs while most Goldens are much larger) and more intensity.

With Pit Bulls its all about intensity, Sal is much stronger (Larger and younger Male) than Athena but because of intensity Athena (4years older) can crack beef bones that Sal never could. The reason is because once Athena get something in her head she does not give up but Sal gets bored fairly quickly.

If you found a Golden who wanted to hold on to the rope as bad as the pit bull who do it....they could too. I have seen several other dog breeds able to do the same thing (GSDs, Aussie Shepards, JRTs, Bulldogs are what I have personally seen)
Old 07-13-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer
I saw that same show on Animal Planet (I think), the PSI on dog bites (according to the scientists involved) is most related to the size of the dog not the breed. In the test they used a Rott, GSD and a Pit. They looked at the anatomy of several dogs (skulls and muscles) and found that Pit Bulls had nothing to give them a stronger bite. The Rott was 20lbs+ bigger than the GSD and the GSD was 20lbs+ bigger than the Pit. They said that breed has very little to do with bite power, they ended the segment saying that a 100lb Pit Bull would have about the same jaw strength as any 100lb dog.

By the way the strongest jaws in the animal kingdom according to that show was the Nile Croc at almost 3000psi. I was suprised that they were more than a Great White shark.

When a Pit Bull is hanging from that rope it is not superior strength but rather lighter body weight (most pits that do that are 50ish lbs while most Goldens are much larger) and more intensity.

With Pit Bulls its all about intensity, Sal is much stronger (Larger and younger Male) than Athena but because of intensity Athena (4years older) can crack beef bones that Sal never could. The reason is because once Athena get something in her head she does not give up but Sal gets bored fairly quickly.

If you found a Golden who wanted to hold on to the rope as bad as the pit bull who do it....they could too. I have seen several other dog breeds able to do the same thing (GSDs, Aussie Shepards, JRTs, Bulldogs are what I have personally seen)
I'm aware of the role that "terrier" plays in their rope skills but when you look at the musculature it would seem to make sense (degree in kinesiology )....but I'm wrong. In talking with my Vet. while playing with one of the clinic dogs (a pit named Porche) he said that the extensive muscle is designed more to withstand trauma, not to increase bite strength.

I've heard that the hyenas have one of the strongest bites in the animal kingdom...who knows..shrug

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-13-2006, 10:34 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little
I'm aware of the role that "terrier" plays in their rope skills but when you look at the musculature it would seem to make sense (degree in kinesiology )....but I'm wrong. In talking with my Vet. while playing with one of the clinic dogs (a pit named Porche) he said that the extensive muscle is designed more to withstand trauma, not to increase bite strength.

I've heard that the hyenas have one of the strongest bites in the animal kingdom...who knows..shrug
I have also heard that hyenas have extremely strong jaws. Stronger than a sharks bite.