Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 07-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Arrow Pitts have more psi than other dogs????

Found this while roaming around...

It's a lawyers office that claims that pit bulls have 2600psi.

Quote:
Like parents who abuse or neglect their children, dog owners who arenít prepared for the responsibilities of the role often end up with dogs that will routinely demonstrate violent, unpredictable and aggressive behavior. But unlike a rebellious teenager, a troubled pit bull can have the biting power of 2600 lbs. per square inch (psi), easily enough strength to maim or kill a grown man. While negligent dog owners happily pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to own a pure breed Pit Bull or Huskie, they are less willing to make the investment in time that it takes to become caring and responsible owners of these potentially dangerous breeds.
This is where the article came from

http://www.charlesboyk-law.com/pract.../dog-bites.cfm

I e-mailed and asked them where they got their info. From what I've researched they tested Sch dogs, "who were trained to bite", many breeds including pitts, and none of them could exceed 350 psi.

Also, all of the sites I've visited states, that the pittbulls jaws work just like any other dogs. There is no such thing as "lock jaw", it's a common myth.

Has anyone heard any different?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:52 PM

I don't think that a difinitive measurement has ever really been attained. I started searching and came across this, you've probably already read it though. Most places claiming actual measurements are probably unreliable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-04-2006, 12:10 AM
rottiegirl

2,000 PSI is what a shark would have, so its ridiculous to claim that pits have that much power.

I have heard that large dogs have around 350 PSI also.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

That's an interesting comparison. I hope they return my e-mail.

Of anyone to be spreading false information you'd think a lawyers office would know better... ah.. maybe not. LOL
Old 07-04-2006, 01:56 AM
LabBreeder

I've heard that the "locking jaw" myth is busted. Pits have regular jaws like every other dog.
The psi is a little iffy either way. I don't think 2600 is right at all but the 350 could very well be correct for Sch dogs (GSD, Pits, etc) but if you can't compare ALL breeds then you can't really accurately state that Pits have the highest bite power psi. JMO, could be wrong.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:41 AM
rottiegirl

I read a study before that tested a pit, rottie, and GSD for PSI. Rottie had the strongest, and the GSD came in second, pit was last. There is no way to test for the correct PSI in any dog.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Top Dog

Do American Pit Bull Terriers or American Staffordshire Terriers have locking jaws?

Hopefully, this myth has been relegated to an urban legend where it belongs. No canine has a locking jaw - it is a physical impossibility for dogs.

Do American Pit Bull Terriers have incredible bite pressure, greater than any other breed of dog?

No! No! No! There is no accurate test to measure the PSI (pressure per square inch) of a Pit Bull or any other breed of dog. It has been shown that other breeds of dogs actually may (as there still is no conclusive test) have a harder bite. So, then why is it sometimes difficult to get a Pit Bull off of another creature? Well, the short answer - that is what they were bred for. The breed was bred to hold on, at all costs. Imagine if a bull-baiting dog suddenly let go of the bull***8217;s nose (which immobilizes the bull) that would leave the bull free to kill the dog and kill the dog the bull would.

American Pit Bull Terriers do have muscular neck and shoulder muscles but so do American Bulldogs, Boxers, Jack Russell Terriers, Dogo***8217;s and a variety of other breeds of dogs. It is not the neck muscles that determine the strength of a dogs bite - 75% of that bite is coming from the rear legs, and by immobilizing the rear portion of the dog***8217;s body, a person can take away 75% of that bite from the dog! Certainly a bite from a Pit Bull is more devastating than, say a teacup poodle, but no more devastating than a well placed bite from a Beagle that hits a key nerve in the face of a child, rendering that child***8217;s face paralyzed.

The take home point is this - ANY dog can inflict serious damage to a human being, especially a child and it is the responsibility of ALL dog owners to socialize and prepare their dogs for the ***8220;real***8221; world.

This is all i found.

Thanks BP
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Rotties have the stringest bite in all of dogdom. No breed has a locking jaw.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:49 PM
LabBreeder

There is no conclusive proff that any specific breed has the "strongest" bite.
It can not be accurately tested and proven.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:10 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabBreeder
There is no conclusive proff that any specific breed has the "strongest" bite.
It can not be accurately tested and proven.
Agreed. How do they know if a dog is biting its hardest ?

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.