Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Lightbulb Tessa, Smkie, Anyone...I need some pointers about Pointers

Dave"y" (that "y" for you Zoom ) is "supposedly" a pointer mix...I have been reading everything I can for the last hour or so...

If anyone has any first hand experience that they would like to share with me, I would appreciate it...ALOT..

Thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Energy Energy Energy. I work at that German Shorthair Pointer kennel and omg is it just nonstop hyper activity lol. Some are mellower then others and I think it depends on a the breed of pointer. But they are working dogs with lots of energy. Sweet as can be though and big clowns lol. I wouldn't mind having a pointer or pointer mix someday they are lovely dogs.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Thanks Pix I completely forgot you worked there *embarassed* I kinda figured they were
Old 07-03-2006, 08:56 PM
tessa_s212

English pointers are much more laid back than the GSP.

Do you knwo which "pointer" he may be mixed with? Any pictures?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Who woulda thought <3

never mind...they say lab/dalmatian but I see pointer
I am sooo confused they have Dave (my Dave) listed as a Lab/Dalmatian but have his brother Dougie listed as a Lab/Pointer
Dougie
Dave

Old 07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
but please call me Aus.

Wow, that's strange how they list them as different breeds... Looks more pointer then Dal to me.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auscat
Wow, that's strange how they list them as different breeds... Looks more pointer then Dal to me.
Me too, maybe it was a typo I see Pointer also...
Old 07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
tessa_s212

I am not quite sure about Dougie, but I am telling you with 80% surity that Dave has English Pointer in him. His ears, eyes, and head shape scream EP.

How is Dave's personality? Playful? A bit goofy? Active? How tall is he exactly? Is that his tail curling over his back?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I knew it Hooray....Can you give me a little insight into their personalities...I know that each dog is different, but maybe just a little insight into the breed personalities
Old 07-03-2006, 09:59 PM
tessa_s212

EPs are definitely large goofy dogs that don't know their own body parts! They can get very excited, and easily knock something over by accident. They aren't highly intelligent, but they are not stupid either. They do take a bit more persistant training than some more intelligent breeds. But, with time they do start to understand and become pretty good about obeying. My EP is easily distracted, and I've been told that is another 'pointer thing'. Sometimes it is a battle to get their attention. EPs are also very soft dogs. A deep "No!" would make the average EP react as if you were beating it to death. Harsh corrections, and aversive training is a big no-no for this breed. I DO use corrections with Marq, but they are more of an "oops, what did you do!". I stay nuetral, never angry. And once I have performed that correction he gets praise and treats. Positive reinforcment is NECESSARY with this breed.

What I love about EPs is their activity level. Marq could play, play, play as long as I wanted him to. But, he also can sleep alot of the day when it is raining or otherwise impossible to play with him outside.

EPs are GREAT dogs, but they certainly do require some patience and an owner with a good sense of humor. They aren't perfect, you can't expect them to be as smart and efficient as most herding breeds. You definitely need a sense of humor!