Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Dog Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiego
I dont know if I can do that... man..

I can change poopy diapers and clean up dog puke but something about sticking my finger up a dogs rear end freaks me out..LOL I have a friend that takes her dog in to the vet to get that done...

Is it all that bad? she says it stinks real bad!
Lol u dont stick ur finger up the dog's butt. LOL. You take a punch of tissues, place it over the dog's rear end, and put pressure on both sides of his/her anus (a little below,actually). Yes it does smell but i just flush the tissue down the toilet so no problems there. lol

Why do people think you stick your finger in the dog's rear end? lol Still getting a good laugh about it.

-Jon
Old 03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
no touchy

Yes, must be the anal glands. I have one girl who has to have her's expressed every now and then. We have the vet do it now, but I recently bought a book on grooming which contains instructions on how to empty them yourself. I recommend muzzling your dog when you're expressing the glands, and have someone holding him/her in place. It's pretty painful for the dog, and he/she may just bite because of that. Also if your dog rubs his/her butt after going to the bathroom or even not after going to the bathroom, he is trying to empty them. That's a sign that they need to be expressed.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:26 PM
no touchy

Oh, and yes, it does smell. If you do it inside, do it on an easily cleaned surface. If you do it outside you should pour some water on it afterwards or something like that. Oh! And the glands may express themselves if your dog gets excited (barks for a few minutes, etc.).
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:32 AM
K-9 lover ;)

Rookie is 11 months old now and he does that. I have had his stool checked and they found nothing. They never suggested the anal glands. Should I have his cleaned out? I don't want them to rupture. Poor baby! (and here I thought he was just trying to clean his little bottom) I know...blonde moment! : )
RIP my sweet baby....
Rudy - 15 year old dalmation/lab mix
Old 03-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

When I was little, I guess my Mom would express our golden, Rufus, glands in the shower. It wreeked, I guess!! Neutering also stops this build up, from what I understand?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Dog Spoiler

I wouldnt say it the smell is strong (I guess it depends on the dog). I just squeeze that stuff onto tissues and flush it down the toilet. Smell goes away.

-Jon
Old 03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

It does STINK!!!! My vet showed me how express each side at a time. You don't need to use as much pressure this way, so doesn't hurt as much. A wad of cotton, plastic glove... Look up subject on line...gives you how to do pictures.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:21 PM
mostly ignored...

My pup had that problem and the vet said that if he was doing it just after coming in from pooping that he was wiping his butt, since dogs don't use toilet paper. He said not to worry unless I noticed anything in his stool or he began to do it when he hadn't been to the bathroom. In either case though just ask your vet, it's always better to be safe then sorry.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Sorry, but your vet is in LaLa Land !!! I've never heard of a dog wanting toilet paper!!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Quigleyfied

anal galnds can be expressed internally (usually only vets and groomers do this) and externally. so yes, in some cases there's a "finger up the butt" involved.

on the general subject, in most cases an adjustment to the dog's diet and more exercise are all that is needed to fix problematic anal glands.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!