Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-03-2006, 02:43 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i think mostly you have to decide if you are high energy owner to keep up with a high energy dog. If your not a high energy owner you will get a bored smart active dog = a destructive unhappy one. THe right match makes for magic the wrong, disaster.

HEre is Zoom's aussie and aubrey in the water http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/sh...00&ppuser=2623 ( i will take the liberty hope ya don't mind zoomer)

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

I've got a red merle Aussie female (Khaki). She's my first Aussie and what everyone is saying is true. They have tons of energy and are very smart. Khaki is now about 6 months old and I guess I've been lucky in that she hasn't been destructive, at least with my things (minus one flip flop). Her toys on the other hand get destroyed within a few days, haha..

She was/is easy to train. House trained in about 3 days, learned sit and lay down in one night, speak within a few minutes, etc...She loves water but hates a bath.

I think Khaki is gonna be one of the hard headed ones. She just so persistant. If she wants to do something that I don't want her to do, she's gonna keep on trying.

Aussie's are comedians also, Khaki always has me laughing...

But also like someone else said, they are extremely smart and can actually outsmart their owners (I'll admit, Khaki has done it to me a few times before I caught on). I've had many other dogs in my life, and I can honestly say that she has been the biggest challenge in raising.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

I have two aussies, that are different as nite and day. My female is high energy, demanding, and requires ALOT of mental/physical stimulation or she is a beast to live with. She hasn't got a serious bone in her body, is quite a comedian, loves to show off, and has quite an independent streak when it suits her. She is out of a mix of show lines/working lines with alot of Hall of Famers in her background.

My male out of working lines, has no problem lounging around all day, but bring him out to work and he will run/work "forever". He is a serious dog, and takes his play/work very seriously. More velcroey, less independent, can be "male" aggressive, bossy, alpha type personality. Also has displaced aggression.

Those describe mine, when I first got into aussies, I saw to many that were dog aggressive, people aggressive, just not good temperaments. Thankfully, I can live with and take mine anywhere with no problems.

They need loads of socialization, they do need a leader, they defiantely can have an independent streak. In other words, if they don't wanna do it, they are NOT going to do it. Positive training works great with them, in fact I find clicker works great, they are good "trick" dogs, smart as whips. negative /punishment type training will shut them down and make them even more determined to "not" do whatever you are asking. To much repetition in training can bore them.

The merle is a real cutie by the way..Be prepared to spend ALOT of time with an aussie, especially the higher energy ones.
Diane
Old 07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Big Dog

I love love love this breed! Gypsy is my first Aussie and she's just the best dog ever. So smart!! Easy to train, but like everyone said, has lots of energy. I have a cat that she gets along with fine. Like to herd her around the house (the cat hates it). Gypsy is extremely cuddly too.

The pic you have is gorgeous!

Thanks Keyodie!

Gypsy on Dogster!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

I've trained several Aussies and they are a joy to have around. They are very energetic though and need to have a job to do. They are your typical herding dog...smart, willing, affectionate, eager to please. You just need to be the leader or they will take advantage of you. I've also found them to be rather nippy...probably because this is how they herd things. Overall a great breed though if in the right hands....