Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Dog Crazy

Default Australian Shepherd??

What is this breed of dog like to own?
do they like swimming?
what colours do they come in?
anyone have any info
Old 07-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Twin 2.0

They can be the most wonderful to go own or the most infuriating. I got the lucky side of Aussies and have a truely wonderful one. They are too smart for their own good sometimes, but at the same time that smartness makes them incredibly easy to train.

They can like swimming, mine does, but I know others that won't step foot in the water.

They come in red tri, red merle, red bi, black tri/bi, blue merle.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

One of my trainers had 7 of them, and they were all wonderful. All of them were shown in conformation, did agility, and therapy work. One of my classmates in her class had one who was completely out of control. Aggressive, separation anxiety, yappy, and no discipline, because the owner (an older lady who was clearly out of her league with this kind of dog) let the dog run the house. I don't think she made any progress in an 8 week class, because she never followed up with anything at home.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Who woulda thought <3

The dairy farmer up the road from us had 2...They were gorgeous, and I would love to sit in the backyard and watch them work bringing in the cows
Old 07-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Twin 2.0

DanL brought up a good point. They do need a strong-willed owner who is willing to make the rules stick and continue training and finding new things for their dog to do and learn. A bored Aussie is a destructive force of nature, and an aggressive Aussie just makes me cry. This is a breed that needs to have a job to be happy. Sawyer's job is to keep the other dogs in daycare in line.

They also make good watchdogs.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 PM
JP Cattle Co.

I've got three Aus. Shepherds that work cattle & goats with amazing agility and intelligence. Mine LOVE the water!!! As Zoom stated above, one has to be a strong-willed owner to maintain control of their high energy.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Dog Crazy

are they good with other dogs/cats?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:15 PM
JP Cattle Co.

My Aus. Shepherds are best of buddies with all my other dogs, horses, and burro!!! They do enjoy chasing cats.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Dog Crazy

iam thinking of getting a blue merle..
what r they like?
Old 07-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Twin 2.0

Well, Sawyer is a blue merle, he just doesn't have any copper points to him. The colors don't make a difference in the dog's personality, unless you get a "pattern white" dog, then they are most likely goign to be deaf and/or nearly blind.

Most Aussies are great with other dogs, and can be good with cats as long as the cat doesn't turn tail and run away. They are herding dogs, and love to chase moving objects.

For a first time Aussie owner, I would probably recommend going through rescue to get one that's a little older. These dogs can be atrocious puppies, and chew like there is no tomorrow. Wonderful once they start to mellow out around 2 years old, but before that...Sawyer is a rescue from ARPH www.aussierescue.org He's my first and I'm glad I have him to learn on! My next Aussie might be a puppy, but I need some practice first!