Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I Love My Belgian

Default Heat question

My dog is on day 14 of her heat, and has been with the male since day 8, but still won't stand for him. Dogs in her line usually breed around day 8, so we are worried. Everything I read says something different -- some sites tells me that dogs can breed all the way up to day 21, some sites say day 18, and others say something different. I'm hoping to actually get some opinions from people that have breeding experience about whether or not they've had dogs breed late. Alot of my friends breed and from their own experience, they feel the breeding won't take. will be very upset if it doesn't work out.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
LabBreeder

I've never bred but the last time Tira was in heat she didn't stand til the end of the second week through the end of the third week. Although, this was her first heat around males (none came near her, she's always on a leash when outside). She might have been willing to stand for them earlier but none got close enough to try until our puppy (then 8 1/2 wks old) came home. She was at the end of her second week by then and more than willing to stand, even for a baby puppy (horn dog ).
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Its quite possible that she will stand later than most. Each female is different but some fall out of the standard.
Do you have them together when your not watching? They may be doing the dirty deed when no one is around
Also not all females except all males for breeding.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:29 AM
I Love My Belgian

Thanks for the replies! They give me hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf7
Do you have them together when your not watching? They may be doing the dirty deed when no one is around
Funny story actually --- they left them together, thinking they just needed privacy. Looked out the window a few minutes later and saw that Visa had jumped the 8 foot fence and was running up and down the side of it, teasing poor Karma. I have raised one heck of a flirt. I'm not sure if they have maybe placed them in a more secure area. The breeder isn't home right now, but I've emailed her and I'll see what's happening.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Dog Show Addict

Definately keep us up to date!!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 07-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

Please keep them separated until she is ready . I've never had them breed at that time. You can test the female by touching her vulva .. if she pulls her tail to one side she is nearing the time. One female I had in for breeding went until the 17th day.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-03-2006, 08:46 PM
I Love My Belgian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Please keep them separated until she is ready . I've never had them breed at that time. You can test the female by touching her vulva .. if she pulls her tail to one side she is nearing the time. One female I had in for breeding went until the 17th day.
She is putting her tail to the side -- she is also moving her rear towards every living thing -- they are making it sound like it is very strange behaviour for her to be acting like this but still not breed. I wouldn't know as I'm not experienced enough -- the one breeding dog I had would attack any male that mounted her. Visa lets the male mount her, then tries to play. It's now day 16, but we can't get ahold of the breeder so we're not sure on her status.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 PM
LabBreeder

Does the male know what he's doing? It's just a thought. I mean, if she's showing all the signs of being ready maybe the male isn't doing his job or doesn't know how? Has he mated before? Did it take?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:35 PM
I Love My Belgian

I know he's sired before, but I only know of one litter of his that is natural, not sure about the rest. Poor guy must be frustrated either way LOL.

I'm getting worried, as we haven't been updated since Thursday...Visa's breeder has called atleast 50 times with no answer. I hope everything is okay. I was worried about my dog coming home not pregnant, now it seems to be the least of my worries, I just want to know that my dog is okay.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:20 PM
RedyreRottweilers

1) I would NOT LEAVE THESE DOGS TOGETHER UNSUPERVISED. AT ALL. Breeding can cause injury to either party for a variety of reasons. Breeding should be SUPERVISED, and dogs restrained to prevent injury to each other.

2) Bitches don't read the websites. I have a bitch go 26 days before she was ready. She whelped 9 puppies. The only way to make SURE you are breeding the bitch on the proper day is to do progesterone testing. This testing targets the LH surge that precedes ovulation.
http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

3) If I had a bitch in season who was going over fences, I would be beside myself. Dogs can be just as determined, and sometimes it's not the dog you prefer. BE CAREFUL about keeping her confined!! My bitches are under lock and key INSIDE MY HOME, or under my direct supervision every MOMENT they are in season.