Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Default lab puppy question

has anyone heard of a white lab a friend told me that a friend from work is buying one what the deal with them
Old 03-07-2005, 06:33 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

at our kennel a white was born rarely..usually stillborn. The ones that did survive were weaker. i have seen lately a breeder in dog fancy magazine that specializes in white labs. I would warn your friend to do the homework bigtime on this before investing their heart in a dog that could have health weaknesses that can run into big vet bills, or a shortened lifespan that will leave them heartbroken.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:57 PM
no touchy

Yes, I have and I've met one also. I would warn you friend also. Don't want to fall onto the "white!!" wagon...lots of irresponsible idiots breeding them for nothing but $$$.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

yea hes a friend of a friend hes gonna but it online and spend 2000
Old 03-07-2005, 07:27 PM
no touchy

All I can say is BYB.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
no touchy

That's who all those people who will sell a dog online are.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

White dogs (with white skin...not white dogs with pink or dark skin) are unhealthy mutations. You should never encourage someone breeding them on purpose. These dogs frequently suffer their whole lives. They have skin problems (dryness, flaking, infections, sunburn), eye problems (sun sensitivity, blindness, infections, malformations), emotional problems (obsessive/compulsive behavior, unreasonable aggression), and a host of internal problems (circulatory disorders, deafness, muscular deficiencies, liver disorders). These dogs should be taken care of and loved just as every dog had the right to be taken care of and loved, but no one should encourage the practice of breeding unhealthy animals for profit.

I had a white Dobie and from the day she was 10 weeks old, she struggled through cancer, deafness, a herniated stomach, degeneration of her muscle tissues, and a number of other problems. She cost a fortune to keep. She couldn't leave the house without sunblock and dark doggy goggles. Of course I thought she was the most beautiful animal on earth, but I think that of all my pets. I turned her over to a wonderful family when she was 2 years old, and they diligently cared for her until she died of cancer at 5. She was a beautiful soul trapped in a miserably unhealthy body. What broke my heart was watching her trying her hardest to be a normal dog and not being able to do the things she loved. Tell your friend to think again before she buys the puppy and encourages the breeder to keep producing them.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Owned by Labradors

Yes don't be fooled I am a Lab breeder, all they are are deviations of the main three colors...that is Yellow, Black or Chocolate.

Yellows can vary from almost white to deep rusy yellow..Blacks are nothing more than all black and Chocolates are all chocolate and nothing else.
Check the pigmentation of the white lab, if it is not black then it is not true to standard and would never be any good in a show ring. (pigmentation is round the eyes, the nose and the mouth, this should be completely black)
The only color with a different pigmentation is the Chocolates, theirs MUST be liver and nothing else.

Whoever breeds Silver or White labs are on a money making gimmick. Ask to see the champions in their breeding papers, see how many of them come up trumps.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Owned by Labradors

Oh and another tip, I forgot, ask the color of the parents eyes. They should either be hazel or brown...Yellow is a fault and not acceptable.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

ok heres an update his friend said it is a white golden retriever and he bought it online for more than 2000 he didnt get to see the parents or anything i told him his friend is very stupid i just hope for the dogs sake its ok i dont know if the same pigment thing is with goldens as with labs but as far as i know there not supposed to be that color