Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-30-2006, 07:24 PM

Unhappy Mordy..my old dog won't eat - need ideas?

I guess I could have PM'd you but I thought maybe others would also have some good ideas. My 15 year old Chihuahua (Tia) who has been in heart failure for the last 3 years has taken a rather dramatic turn in the last week. Along with some other issues that I'm trying my best to help her with, her appetite for her food (Eagle Pack - holistic), has really decreased. Can you suggest anything that I can make for her (not raw) that will be more palatable and healthy for her...she's only 3 lbs. now and is loosing weight.

I know I'm loosing her (I can't bear the thought) and I want to make her time left with us the best possible. She is still interested in treats but of course I want her to be getting proper nutrition especially with her heart condition.
She is not able to eat turkey but I've been boiling chicken breast for her and she loves it but of course I need to add something to it to make it complete.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated...

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 06-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Island dweller

If she loves home prepared food why don't you do that for her? You can grind up egg shells for calcium if you feed boneless meat. At her age and with her health you probably just want to keep her eating. maybe she'd like tripe?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Quigleyfied

One thing you could try that many dogs really like is the dehydrated food from The Honest Kitchen.

They have a new product called "Preference", to which you add fresh meat (cooked or raw) to create a complete food:
http://thehonestkitchen.com/preference.htm

Any good quality canned food would of course also be an option, for example any of Eagle Pack's cans are excellent.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
If she loves home prepared food why don't you do that for her? You can grind up egg shells for calcium if you feed boneless meat. At her age and with her health you probably just want to keep her eating. maybe she'd like tripe?
She's never eaten "people food" but I am cooking for her now, I just didn't know what veggies would be best to add to chicken to make sure that I'm giving her the most complete nutrition that I can. You're right, I really do just want to stop the weight loss and have her enjoy eating again.

I did try tripe...OMG the smell ...it gave her really loose stool and I have to say with the smell of it I was almost relieved that it didn't work out
I'll try the ground egg shells...I wonder if rinsed canned salmon with the bones would be OK for her? Thanks Saje.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Island dweller

Well you should get all the details about raw from mordy but if she can handle bones that would work and if not I think you can grind up egg shells for her. And there's a supplement and veggies.... might as well spoil her
Old 06-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
One thing you could try that many dogs really like is the dehydrated food from The Honest Kitchen.

They have a new product called "Preference", to which you add fresh meat (cooked or raw) to create a complete food:
http://thehonestkitchen.com/preference.htm

Any good quality canned food would of course also be an option, for example any of Eagle Pack's cans are excellent.
Thanks Mordy, I'll give thehonestkitchen a look. I don't know why but I did try the exact same Eagle Pack (holistic) in a can and she got really bad diarrhea from it, although she sure gobbled it up.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Well you should get all the details about raw from mordy but if she can handle bones that would work and if not I think you can grind up egg shells for her. And there's a supplement and veggies.... might as well spoil her
I keep forgetting that you've changed your avatar...that dog of yours is just beautiful...love the blue eye!

I think that your egg shell idea may be best. At 15 and being a Chihuahua, bones, other than the soft ones in canned salmon, would be too much for her. Spoiling is I think the best perscription for her now..

Old 06-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Island dweller

That's Nanook. She's the boss. Renee said she's like me (or I'm like her lol ) and I think it's true

Why don't you get some of the books on raw feeding? That way you can figure out a balanced diet. If she likes tripe you can feed that and it's got a lot of nutrients.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
That's Nanook. She's the boss. Renee said she's like me (or I'm like her lol ) and I think it's true

Why don't you get some of the books on raw feeding? That way you can figure out a balanced diet. If she likes tripe you can feed that and it's got a lot of nutrients.
I thought that was Nanook, she's a looker
I'm headed to dogwise right now

Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little
I thought that was Nanook, she's a looker
I'm headed to dogwise right now
She's a spaz. I don't think there is another dog like her. She's too smart for her own good, can't sit still and will roll all over you to make you pay attention or try and sit on your chest. She, like most of my dogs, must have been abused. She used to submissive pee all the time but her fear never stopped her from being cheeky or trying to make you love her. lol She's calmed down a lot but she's still a freak lol.