Colby Pit Bulls (standards and the original look)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Pit looks aside... the breeder the OP posted is groooooss! Read this, and tell me this person is well-educated and in it to better the breed:

"Even though our foundation dogs have numerous "champions" in their pedigrees, we don't participate in the show ring as we find it to be too politically subjective and therefore the term "champion bloodlines" over-used, overblown and over-rated. For all intents and purposes, show ring champions are nothing but beauty queens. The fact is that approximately 90% of the dogs out there meet the "standard" and it is not unusual to encounter dogs over 65 pounds (out of standard) entered. Why have a "standard" if it's not "standardized" ? "

Basically, he feels that he has the credentials to judge what dogs are worth breeding and what dogs aren't. Apparently, he knows everything about anything! If he is not showing his dogs, their worthiness of breeding is based solely on what he thinks, his opinion. So he's basically taking it into his own hands... without considering showing, working, or even testing his dogs. It is CRAP to blame one's laziness on the ethics of conformation shows. There are plenty of clubs, such as ADBA, who judge a lot fairer than AKC shows (in reference to Amstaffs). He either cannot get points on his dogs, or he knows nothing/is too lazy to get out there and exhibit them.

"They come with a certificate of health and their HEALTH is GUARANTEED* for 6 months from date of purchase."

Meaning, if your pup develops a hereditary disease at 1 year old, youre on your own! =P No health tests = a very high likelihood that your puppy will end up with hip or elbow issues that could cost you $1000's or even your dog's life at a young age. NOT WORTH IT! They also do not have a spay/neuter or return contract, so they are obviously not concerned with where their puppies end up.

"TO BE SOLD AS A BREEDABLE PAIR. WHEN THEY WERE BRED, THEY PRODUCED BLACK, BLUE AND CHAMPAGNE. THE LITTER WAS LOST TO PNEUMONIA."

They are selling a breeding pair, on their website. Period. They lost a litter to pneumonia! This does not happen, especially not a full litter, in a clean, in-home, well-operated breeding program! The puppy pictures show wormy, thin, dirty puppies who live outside with multiple other dogs in pens.

I see loads of dogs that look just like his, that have great personalities, languishing in shelters everywhere. If you are willing to buy from a breeder with such poor morals, you will be taking less of a chance if you adopt an adult dog from a rescue. Why do you even need to buy a Pittie if you're buying from a crappy breeder and you only want the pup as a pet? Are you not aware that the majority of dogs abandoned in most areas are Pit Bulls? Unless you want to show or work the dog, or you need a puppy for some particular reason, save a life if you really love this breed.

R

rottiegirl

ihartgonzo said:
Pit looks aside... the breeder the OP posted is groooooss! Read this, and tell me this person is well-educated and in it to better the breed:

"Even though our foundation dogs have numerous "champions" in their pedigrees, we don't participate in the show ring as we find it to be too politically subjective and therefore the term "champion bloodlines" over-used, overblown and over-rated. For all intents and purposes, show ring champions are nothing but beauty queens. The fact is that approximately 90% of the dogs out there meet the "standard" and it is not unusual to encounter dogs over 65 pounds (out of standard) entered. Why have a "standard" if it's not "standardized" ? "

Basically, he feels that he has the credentials to judge what dogs are worth breeding and what dogs aren't. Apparently, he knows everything about anything! If he is not showing his dogs, their worthiness of breeding is based solely on what he thinks, his opinion. So he's basically taking it into his own hands... without considering showing, working, or even testing his dogs. It is CRAP to blame one's laziness on the ethics of conformation shows. There are plenty of clubs, such as ADBA, who judge a lot fairer than AKC shows (in reference to Amstaffs). He either cannot get points on his dogs, or he knows nothing/is too lazy to get out there and exhibit them.

"They come with a certificate of health and their HEALTH is GUARANTEED* for 6 months from date of purchase."

Meaning, if your pup develops a hereditary disease at 1 year old, youre on your own! =P No health tests = a very high likelihood that your puppy will end up with hip or elbow issues that could cost you $1000's or even your dog's life at a young age. NOT WORTH IT! They also do not have a spay/neuter or return contract, so they are obviously not concerned with where their puppies end up.

"TO BE SOLD AS A BREEDABLE PAIR. WHEN THEY WERE BRED, THEY PRODUCED BLACK, BLUE AND CHAMPAGNE. THE LITTER WAS LOST TO PNEUMONIA."

They are selling a breeding pair, on their website. Period. They lost a litter to pneumonia! This does not happen, especially not a full litter, in a clean, in-home, well-operated breeding program! The puppy pictures show wormy, thin, dirty puppies who live outside with multiple other dogs in pens.

I see loads of dogs that look just like his, that have great personalities, languishing in shelters everywhere. If you are willing to buy from a breeder with such poor morals, you will be taking less of a chance if you adopt an adult dog from a rescue. Why do you even need to buy a Pittie if you're buying from a crappy breeder and you only want the pup as a pet? Are you not aware that the majority of dogs abandoned in most areas are Pit Bulls? Unless you want to show or work the dog, or you need a puppy for some particular reason, save a life if you really love this breed.
I have to agree that he sounds like a byb...

R

rottiegirl

Roxy's CD said:
RD- Agreed, those dogs definitely have quite a bit of fat on them.

rutlyr Glad to see you've done some research :D LOL

It's al personal preference. As you can see some say skinny is the breed standard and obiously chunkier pitts are winning in the confirmation ring...

There's nothing wrong with having a nicely toned and muscled dog but my point is for a 7 month old that is WAY too much.

As for pitts in general, it makes more sense in a dog fighting sense that you'd want a bit of fat, it would last longer in the pitt.

What's crazy about the above pics, is that last dog looks hard as a rock yet he is VERY thick. I doubt he has much fat on him, but he's not as lean as many of the "new age" pitts. (happens to every species QH started out big, muscly, bulky animals and now are more comparable to THB)
Fat pits are winning because the majority of pits now days have extra fat. People are obsessed with big, fat, chunky dogs. It goes for other breeds also... labs, rotties, GSDs, etc. In america... bigger is better. People dont condition their pits as much as they should. Its more about looks than about what the dog can do.

That 7 month old female I posted was not too skinny. HER RIBS WERE COMPLETELY HIDDEN, which means that she has a layer of fat. People need to go read the standard.

A fat pit would last longer in the pit? I dont think so. The more fat they have, the slower they are. The pits that have more lean muscle, and edurance would win. A fat pit would have very little endurance, because they obviousy havent been conditioned as much as a thinner pit. They would also over-heat faster.

A pit who is as hard as a rock has visible ribs. A pit that has hidden ribs has a layer of fat, which slows them down.

rutylr

The dogs I have seen in the CH and GRCH classes in UKC shows are not fat,just a bit more bulkier.There is a big difference between ADBA standard and UKC standard.

Mach1girl

It wholey depends on the judge as well. You have your old school judges and more lenient ones.

But seriously, I have attended many of dog shows for my breed, and the ONLY time I see the bulkier ones winning is if that is the only type entered.

Thats why I say, if there is a class of RE for example all entering, and all of a sudden a Jeep or Red Boy show up, with ribs and a tuck from he77, you can bet almost every time, the RE is going to lose.

To each his own preference, really people, but when compared in a ring~FOR REAL~ this is 99% time the outcome. No matter old school judges or new ones.

And I HATE discussing dog fighting, but yes, a bulkier pitbull is gonna get his a$$ whooped everyt ime due to the bulkiness, it causes loss of endurance, over heating and restricts limber movements.
Even alittle fat would cause this.

Im gonna try to find the Colby link where he quotes the ups and downs on the pitbull and the pitbulls that he bred/raised/looked up and down upon. It lists how many fights they won, why, why the other lost, etc. What he bred them to look like, what satisfied his likings, what didn't. Etc.....

I just hate being reminded what the breed was for, and I hate dogmen. This is why I usually dont go there.

Roxy's CD

I don't mean "fat" as in sloppy looking, jiggly fat, but bulkier muscle, not quite as defined or toned.

The last pic of the Colby's the rutylr posted, is a very thick dog. But, it looks hard as a rock.

Mach1girl said:
Hunched like a whippet????Lol, far from it.

Please read the standard, obviously, you are seeing something completly different then what is there. Not sure if it is just because you do not know what to look for, or because I sense a hint of dislike from you for the breed. I may be wrong(probably~so dont go screaming at me!) but the dog is gorgeous, no obvious faults what so ever!

I see what I see, and I am entitled to voice my opinions. BTW, I love ABPT's. I had 4 growing up, and I am working on getting one in a few years, I am researching so that I can find a pits that I like and how I feel a pit should be, both looks and temperament wise.

rutylr said:
Hi,to go back to this what APBT's were supose to look like.They were not bred for looks nor did anyone try to breed to the standard,They bred for gameness.No one cared what they looked like as long as they could hold their own in the pit.
So to say UKC ,AKC or ADBA are they way they are supose to look it totally
wrong.Go back and look at old pictures,some dogs are almost as big as American Bull dogs and some are as small as Bostons.
And I have yet to find anyone breeding APBT to a standard,they are all lacking in structure and no one seems to notice or care.Sure you don't need to be structurly sound to fight,but these dogs are weight pulling and lacking in a big area.They are doing what is asked,but just think if they met the standard what they could do.
I love you, lol. That is so true. No one gave a rat's a*s about the dog's looks. All they cared about was fighting. My GSD was not bred for looks, but guess what? He has wonderful working abilities, and that is what I care about, not who's winning in the d*mn conformation ring.

I think people are more sensitive about the shape of the pitbull nowadays because there are many lines that add a bit a mastiff to beef up the line a bit. That's a terrible injustice to the breed. I can see why some people like the bulkier pit, but I truly hope that we don't loose the lean lines. That why I personally think we should make a split that way everyone is happy. Amstaffs could represent the bulkier type pits and APBT could represent the leaner pits. An official split where a dog cannot be registered as both. I really think that's the best way to make eveyone happy and allow both types to be shown without risking the prejudice of a judge against a specific body type. Of couse I'm no expert or anything, it's just an idea.:)

R

rottiegirl

GSDlover_4ever said:
I love you, lol. That is so true. No one gave a rat's a*s about the dog's looks. All they cared about was fighting. My GSD was not bred for looks, but guess what? He has wonderful working abilities, and that is what I care about, not who's winning in the d*mn conformation ring.
You might not care what a dog looks like, but there is a little thing called a breed standard. There IS a certain way each breed is supposed to look.

I can tell that you have never even looked at the pit bull standard, let alone read it. You might think that female has a whippet back, but sorry to break it to ya... that is clearly how a pits back is supposed to look like. It states that in the standard.

rutylr

No one looks at the standard when breeding.
Read the part on shoulders in the UKC standard and look at all the pictures you can,and try ti find 1 with the correct shoulders.
http://www.apbtconformation.com/frontstudy3.htm
the fronts are starting to look like Fox Terriers which is wrong.
I left it as one as that will be hard enuff.I have yet to see one in person with the correct shoulders.
So again no one is reading the standard.

Brattina88

rutylr said:
No one looks at the standard when breeding.
No one? I doubt that. There are people breeding towards the standard... The other breeders are starting to look bad to me, not breeding toward the stardard. A lot of the pits around here are starting to look more and more like American Bulldogs to me... it's all about size and intimidation... :confused:

elegy

overdogged
GSDlover_4ever said:
they also cared about engineering the "perfect" fighting dog. and form follows function. if a dog with certain structure did better in the pit, for sure people would look to that dog's conformation and try to follow it. pit bulls, like all breeds created for a certain purpose, have the structure that they do for a reason.

a dog with weak structure, shallow chest for example, bowed front legs, straight hind end, whatever is not going to do as well in the pit. that's just the way it is.

structure and conformation is extremely important in a working breed. what good is a dog with excellent working ability and temperament and heart if his body breaks down or can't support his spirit?

conformation is so much more than "looking pretty."

structure and conformation is extremely important in a working breed. what good is a dog with excellent working ability and temperament and heart if his body breaks down or can't support his spirit?

conformation is so much more than "looking pretty."
Tell that to the American Show bred GSD's. Yeah, they can work better than a german working line GSD because their knees drag the ground. :rolleyes:

If you look into GSD's you would see that poeple who work their dogs from working lines do not care for looks. I'm glad they dont breed to AKC conformation. A breed standard should be for an ENTIRE breed, then why are so many breeds divided? Explain that. Look at huskies, GSD's, Rotties, Dobies, Mals ect. They are ALL divided and have MANY breed standards, that fit that certain line they were bred into. Standards have changed immensly from breed to breed. Look at the first dog for each breed and then look at an example from this day and age. Then compare those to other dogs of the same breed used for a different purpose. And keep going, and you would notice a BIG difference. People focus WAY too much on looks rather than working ability. And unfortunately if I stick to "standard" then my dogs will not be able to work, because the structure is TERRIBLE. I would take a mutt who can work over a working breed bred for conformation and shows NO working ability what-so-ever.

R

rottiegirl

GSDlover_4ever said:
When I look at this picture I see APBT written all over it. Yes, she is on the bulky side but is not exxagerated, like most pits today. She, IMO, is very well balanced.

http://www.matrixkennels.com/emma.htm
She is a very nice pit bull. She is not conditioned as much as some other dogs on that site. I get a feeling that you like pits who are not conditioned. You dont like seeing ribs and an amazing tuck, but thats ok because the pit you picked out conforms to the standard very well.

There are people who like a well conditioned dog, and then theres people who think it looks anorexic.

Standard:

The loin is short, muscular and slightly arched to the top of the croup, but narrower than the rib cage and with a moderate tuck-up (TUCK UP IS VERY IMPORTANT IN AN ATHLETIC DOG AND THE DEGREE OF TUCK IS INDICATIVE OF THE LEVEL OF CONDITIONING.) The croup is slightly sloping downward.

rottiegirl said:
She is a very nice pit bull. She is not conditioned as much as some other dogs on that site. I get a feeling that you like pits who are not conditioned. You dont like seeing ribs and an amazing tuck, but thats ok because the pit you picked out conforms to the standard very well.

There are people who like a well conditioned dog, and then theres people who think it looks anorexic.

Standard:

The loin is short, muscular and slightly arched to the top of the croup, but narrower than the rib cage and with a moderate tuck-up (TUCK UP IS VERY IMPORTANT IN AN ATHLETIC DOG AND THE DEGREE OF TUCK IS INDICATIVE OF THE LEVEL OF CONDITIONING.) The croup is slightly sloping downward.
Rottie, I apreciate you for not bashing me for my likings. I'm glad that someone on here respects others opinions. I personally do not like overly "conditioned" pits. I prefer the ones that look like the one in the picture I posted, maybe a little less bulky but I prefer that look in comparison to the one you posted. Way to skinny for me. I like a nice tuck but not so much to where it looks like a greyhound or Whippet, again that is how I see it.

R

rottiegirl

GSDlover_4ever said:
Rottie, I apreciate you for not bashing me for my likings. I'm glad that someone on here respects others opinions. I personally do not like overly "conditioned" pits. I prefer the ones that look like the one in the picture I posted, maybe a little less bulky but I prefer that look in comparison to the one you posted. Way to skinny for me. I like a nice tuck but not so much to where it looks like a greyhound or Whippet, again that is how I see it.
I am glad you like pits that comform to the standard, its great! Different people have different tastes, and thats ok as long as the pit is a good representation of the breed. I just happen to like extremely conditioned dogs, and you dont, which is perfectly fine!

The dog I posted conforms to the standard... the one you posted conforms to the standard just as much.

pitbulliest

Matrix Kennels has quite a nice reputation...I also like this kennel and have spoken to the owner a few times...they're amstaffs...anywho, breeds apbts as well if I do recall...to me, they're the same diff...anyways, a very solid and reputable breeder:

http://www.hartagold.com/

Members online

No members online now.