Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-01-2006, 11:28 AM
overdogged

it's fascinating to me the people who show adba and ukc. they have to fatten their dogs up to show in ukc or they won't do well, period. that's a shame. the adba-style of dogs- extremely fit and muscular- is really, at least to me, what the pit bull breed is all about.

to the OP- what the heck kind of testing are they doing on those dogs? they aren't listed in the OFA database at all. pit bulls are prone to hip dypslasia, elbow dysplasia, and heart disease for starters. the only claim to fame of any of those dogs is that they can scale a six foot fence. that's no reason to breed a dog.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Like I said, I do not prefer them personally~s a dog of my own, but would always respect it if it competed against my dog and won.
So you dont have to like them and can choose the more muscular, well balanced one but I can't. A pit isnt supposed to look like a whippet.

ELEGY: No one said anything about fat, MUSCULAR.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Uffda!

Maybe there should be decisive split between the AmStaff and the APBT so that those who want the stockier looking dogs could work with AmStaffs and the APBT could keep the look it originally had. It's a shame to change a breed's shape so much especially since we have a lot of pictures of what they originally looked like.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM
overdogged

ah, but truly muscular and conditioned often won't win in the ukc ring. a pit bull shouldn't look like a whippet, no, but they are supposed to be an athletic dog, not a bulky one.

from the adba standard: Above all, the American Pit Bull Terrier should appear to be an all around athlete. His body is called upon for speed, power, agility and stamina. He must be balanced in all directions. Too much of one thing, robs him of another. In his ideal form, he is a thing of beauty.

Presentation of an adult dog should be of a lean, exercised animal showing a hint of rib and backbone (without hipbones showing) with muscles firm and defined. Clean, glossy coat with short trimmed nails. Presentation of dogs in the puppy classes should be of a well nourished puppy, showing no ribs, backbone or hips. Coat should be glossy with short, trimed nails.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

i also dont see anything too special about the first dogs posted...
but i LOVE the Matrix and Jeep lines..WOW!...the pit girly in the pic posted is gorgeous! Now THAT is what a pit bull is suppose to look like! Shes not at all skinny, she could use a bit more muscle tone, but shes still young! She is very well conditioned for her age...a lot of people dont like the look of a game bred pit bull..but that is what they are supposed to look like, they were bred to look like..it makes me sick to see all these 120lb blue hippo mastiff crosses dogs out there, and what makes it all worse is that these "breeders" argue that they are true pit bulls..im sure most of you have seen this but if not take a look..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nnF...l%20pit%20bull
Old 07-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure if a 7 month old puppy should be that muscular and toned. It's not good for them to be fat but their growing... you don't want to mess with muscle/ligament/joing growth.

All of their dogs are attractive but I don't like the particular pup posted on this thread.

On the matrix website I don't see any dogs that are skinny or NOT muscular. (Of course the ones that are older and filled out) Their pitts look to be in good condition. There's a good mix of stocky and more athletic looking pitts in my town.

It is personal preference.

Just a question though, and this is not sarcastic.

If pitts aren't supposed to be thick and stocky why do they win in confirmation shows? You'd think of all people who should know what a pitt is supposed to look like a judge would know.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:32 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiegirl
Wow, look at this dog from matrix kennels. Very athletic and fast looking. So beautiful!! Now that is a real pitbull! What bloodlines do they use??

I'm not a fan of short, chunky pit bulls....in fact, I can't stand that look....but that dog is just a little too thin for my liking. I like to see lean pits, but not that lean IMO.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

I don't know much about pits, but I think that dog looks ok. Doesn't look malnourished to me. She's slim, but still appears healthy, IMO.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Chihuahua Mum

That female is gorgeous! Maybe a little more 'sighthound' like than I thought pitties should look, but a very good looking girl nonetheless.
I know nothing about APBTs but I have to say I like the leaner, more athletic dogs over the really chunky ones I've seen. And the giant sized ones some people seem to think should be bred...oh good lord, no. lol

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 07-01-2006, 09:27 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy
ah, but truly muscular and conditioned often won't win in the ukc ring. a pit bull shouldn't look like a whippet, no, but they are supposed to be an athletic dog, not a bulky one.

from the adba standard: Above all, the American Pit Bull Terrier should appear to be an all around athlete. His body is called upon for speed, power, agility and stamina. He must be balanced in all directions. Too much of one thing, robs him of another. In his ideal form, he is a thing of beauty.

Presentation of an adult dog should be of a lean, exercised animal showing a hint of rib and backbone (without hipbones showing) with muscles firm and defined. Clean, glossy coat with short trimmed nails. Presentation of dogs in the puppy classes should be of a well nourished puppy, showing no ribs, backbone or hips. Coat should be glossy with short, trimed nails.
Good post!

I want to throw in something... just because you can slightly see a pits ribs doesnt mean that he is malnourished. You are supposed to see their ribs to an extent. If you look at the female I posted you dont see any rib, so she is obviously well fed!