Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Talk to the Paw!

Default dry vs. canned...

I've been feeding my very picky eater dry food (which has been grounded, because that's the only way she will eat it) mixed with canned. Is it okay to feed just canned? I've heard that just feeding canned isn't good for a dog's teeth. However, my dog's not really getting the benefits of the dry food to clean her teeth because it's grounded into crumbs. Please tell me your views on the subject because I was thinking of just giving her canned. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Twin 2.0

I know Mordy feeds mostly canned, supplemented with aspects of the RAW diet. She'd have the best response.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Big Dog

Canned food is actually better than dry food when it comes to digestion. Since it has a lot of moisture, your dog will most likely digest more of the matter....it also has a higher amount of protein (on a dry matter basis).
Old 06-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

My dog eats only canned, this is b/c the Dried goes straight through him.
But, as you can see from the pic he is one BIG healthy happy boy
There are also other things to help with thier teeth

Thanks BP
Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Quigleyfied

I don't feed canned food myself (I make my own food), but canned food is definitely closer to what a dog would eat naturally. The claims of it being unhealthy are generally unfounded, if you stick to good quality brands.

There is really no reason any dog should have to eat dry food, other than it being convenient and economical for the owners.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Puppy Dog

Canned food contains a very high percentage of water, so not the most economical way to feed a dog. I've known dogs to live their entire lives on canned food, so it can work. You're right, you'll need to keep an eye on the teeth. Will your dog chew on a raw bone at all?

Scotia
Old 06-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

I feed my adult female sheltie canned food because she won't touch dry food of any kind. I brush her teeth every other day and I've never had a problem with it.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Active Pup

It is untrue that canned food will digest better than dry food. Dogs are very good at making sure they take in adequate water. A high quality dry food will have a total digestibility of 90-96%, canned foods in the 92-96% range...an nominal difference.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Talk to the Paw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia
Canned food contains a very high percentage of water, so not the most economical way to feed a dog. I've known dogs to live their entire lives on canned food, so it can work. You're right, you'll need to keep an eye on the teeth. Will your dog chew on a raw bone at all?

Scotia
My aunt feeds her dogs raw and says that it keeps their teeth very clean, but I've never tried giving anything raw. I do brush her teeth a few times a week, and she gets a good cleaning when she goes to the groomer, so her teeth are pretty clean. I also give her a few dog biscuits every day as a snack, so that should help.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Fila Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter
It is untrue that canned food will digest better than dry food. Dogs are very good at making sure they take in adequate water. A high quality dry food will have a total digestibility of 90-96%, canned foods in the 92-96% range...an nominal difference.
I'm just curious as to where you get your information? Are you a vet or nutritionist?