Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 03-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Quigleyfied

valkie, i know it might not be easy, but you will not solve these problems until your dog is off the poor quality food he's eating. you have to treat the problem from the inside out, no topical product or shampoo is going to make much if any difference at all.

i can't make a call on the skin condition without seeing some photos at least, but most likely the cause is a food allergy aggravated by the poor quality food. it's very likely they would clear up without extra help with a change in diet and some simple natural treatments for the skin to at least help with the itching until it goes away.

you will also have to prevent him from eating the cat food.

i can work with you on this if you like, but it will take quite a bit of commitment from your side. to work out a plan, i need to know how old this dog is and how long this problem has been going on. and any other details in regards to his health that you can possibly think of - no matter how small. what do his ears smell like for example, and are they naturally clean or do you have to clean them a lot? are his teeth and gums in good condition, does he have bad breath? has he been treated with any medications recently? do you use heartworm and flea preventives, and if so, what brand? is this dog an indoor or outdoor dog?

photos would help immensely, if you have a way of emailing them to me. best taken in natural light, one of each side of the body as close up as you can to get the entire dog into the photo. one of his armpits and one of the belly/groin area, and of the area where the "pimples" you mentioned are most prevalent.

please PM me with your email address so i can give you my main one. that way you can get a hold of me directly, but it's an address i do not generally post publicly.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Island dweller

Mordy, you are wonderful. What would we do without you?

Here's your star...
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Quigleyfied

awww thank you saje. we'll get to the bottom of it, no doubt.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Island dweller

I have faith.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 AM
puppy mom

PM sent and I'm going to work on those pics. There is another forum that I'm on that a lot of the people there use Old Mother Hubbard brand, how does that one stack up?

Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Island dweller

Hmm I haven't heard of that. I'll look into it.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Island dweller

Well in my opinion (which is humble and lacking in knoweldge on the subject) I think that is a much better option than what you have been feeding. However, it seems to have a lot of grains in it and from what I understand some dogs don't do well on that.

www.omhpet.com is their page
Old 03-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Felurian

Your best bet is working with Mordy - she can steer you to the best possible choices for your poor guy's problems.

Dobes are such great dogs - I know he'll be grateful when he quits itching!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Top Dog

Brady's friend Jenny had a bad skin problem and her owner's found out she could not eat ANYTHING with corn in it. They had to switch her food and she has been better since that.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:50 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Well, I know this doesn't help much, but Duke was completely dandruffy and disgusting before he started getting his Thyroxine. Now he's just loverly! Although, he was blowing coat a few weeks ago and I was about to take a heavy-duty vacuum to him...