Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 06-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy
why is it that irresponsible owners are making x breed look bad? why is that the chosen common denominator? why not irresponsible owners make irresponsible ownership look bad? or makes unleashed, free-roaming dogs look bad? or chained dogs look bad? or untrained dogs look bad? because those are often much more common denominators than breed.

the problem with pits is that there often IS no problem with pits. there's a big problem with ownership. absolutely. but it is not a breed-specific problem. all of those articles i posted- ALL of those dogs bit and not a single one was a pit bull. so why is it a pit bull problem? yes, lots of crappy people are attracted to pit bulls. and then we plaster them all over the media some more as the poster child of the evil nasty mean dog and even more people seeking evil nasty mean dogs go out and acquire them.

after the incident in california where diane whipple was attacked and killed by presa canario there was an unprecendented demand for the obscure breed by people wanting dogs like that one who killed the lady in california.
I remember that incident...I watched the story on 48 Hours or 20/20 (I think)

Elegy, I agree with you 100%

I'll admit I used to be one of those people that would walk a mile around a person with a pit bull..and I am ashamed of that...

I would hear and read about all the "awful" things that they (the breed) did, and I felt the same way that some people do..

But the difference between me and them, is the simple fact that I took time to read about the breed..

I took the time to sit down with people that own them, and care for them, and I took time to get to know the dogs as *INDIVIDUALS* not by looking at them as a specific breed..

I took time to look at the difference *responsible* and *irresponsible* ownership can do to any dog not just pit bulls..

Why they are portrayed the way they are I will never know or understand but it makes me sad, that the responsible owners and thier dogs have to suffer because a IDIOT wanted to be bad and decided to get a dog and make it his/her status symbol....
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 PM
and Spy.

Well put, Georgygirl.
I think the OP was trying to prove that ALL dogs bite. Actually, not that long ago, a senior man was attacked by a dog in my area. He reported that 'A pitbull charged, and attacked me viciously.'. Of course, the media went nuts and were driving around trying to find the dog. However, once the dog was found, it was identified as a lab. NO story was done, and the media left right away, uninterested. Had it have been a bully breed, it would have made the front page.

Roxy's CD, NEVER EVER give up. At the worst caser, we cannot go down withought a fight. Everyone MUST keep fighting. At the very least, if the pitty cannot be saved, we may succeed in saving other breeds .

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Fila Love

Elegy, I do understand where you are coming from, and all Pitts are getting a bad rap, it isn't fair, but my Rottie being # 2 isn't either.
I also have a Fila, which is not only banned in cities, but also countries. I have not yet found any concrete evidence as to why. I have been diligently searching the Internet for a newspaper article, television program or something to show where these dogs have mauled people and hunted them down as prey. So far not a darn thing, not one blessed article. It seems because of the very protective nature, and distrust of strangers they are deadly vicious animals, as one animal loving website put it,

Editor:- "Considering the current information researched on this breed, we have decided not to publish further information, as we would find it hard to recommend this breed as a domestic animal. If there is a Fila Brasileiro breeder somewhere in the world who would like to put forward more information about this breed that refutes the infomration presented here, we would love to hear from you "[email protected] Now, as a Fila owner how do you think thats makes me feel?

My Fila and Rottie, are much more predictable than Maggie, my ShihTzu mix, and Spike the ACD mix. The little ones will be the ones that would bite first. My big dogs will size up the situation before biting. If has to be an actual threat to me or my family before they would attack.

No matter how you look at it...it's all Bull Sh*t
Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Uffda!

I'm always for the underdog so if it were chihuahuas getting banned I'd be just as passionate and I'd speak out till I was blue in the face. I don't own a pitbull so it's not "my breed" but I can see an innocent victim. I can tell when something is immoral and unfair. I'll always fight for the victims that can't fight for themselves no matter what species.

And personally I think a lot more people would get involved if "their breed" was on that ban list. People tend to pay more attention when things start hitting home.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 06-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

I had no idea a presa killed a woman... I'm surprised I never heard of that.

All dog breeds have had their "fad" time. Rotts/dobes were 80's early 90's and now the pitt. (at least faddy for people who want mean dogs, like drug dealers) And I think that's one of the main reasons pitts have been banned, in the paper you see people's houses getting raided and almost everytime there's a mention of a pittbull or pittbull mix "guarding" the house.

Personally dobes and rotts have always been a favourite of mine. I was never particularly attracted to the pittbull breed until I stumbled across Hades.

I must admit that I am a wrongdoer in the sense that I advertise freely the other breeds of dogs that bite offen. I guess it's my defensive position, that I have to take on a lot when discussing pitts with dumb people. I guess I just try to show them that their "familydog" in their own backyard if not socialized and trained properly is just as likely to attack your own child as a pitt... or any other dog for that matter.

I don't advertise these breeds to put them down, but only to put all dogs on the same level, and help to prove that it's not the breed but the owner.

*sigh* And Hades was sooo good in school tonight. So good that a man that once thought Hades was a horrible killer commented on his behaviour tonight. Stating that he would be calling the mayor about BSL. A couple other people seconded that.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Are you dead yet?

Dogs are dogs. I agree that selecting the right breed is important ... but at the end of the day, no matter how exotic its breed, no matter whether it was bred to hunt or herd or guard, no matter what its instinctive tendencies are, a dog is just a dog. As different as most breeds are from one another, ALL dogs will respond well to love, kindness and training and respond negatively to neglect and abuse.

I agree with you, Elegy. There usually isn't a problem with the dogs.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabBreeder
Like you said, dogs bite. I would like to know why you want to make other breeds out to be "bad" because of "bad owners/breeders". Pit bulls have had a bad rap, but why would you want another breed to go through the same thing. You didn't like it; it's unfair; places are banning pits, etc. Why would you want another breed, or multiple breeds, to go through the same thing?
Your just mad because your breed was involved . Why does the pitbull have to stay in the spotlight? You feel so strongly about this, imagine how the pitbull owners feel.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:35 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by filarotten
Elegy, I do understand where you are coming from, and all Pitts are getting a bad rap, it isn't fair, but my Rottie being # 2 isn't either.
I also have a Fila, which is not only banned in cities, but also countries.
it's not fair that ANY breed should be banned. i'm especially passionate about pit bulls because it's *my* breed, but no responsible owner of any breed should be faced with this. i used to have a link to a comprehensive list of banned breeds. it was ridiculous. people love these dogs, own them responsibly, don't cause anybody any problems, and yet they're still faced with horrible choices, discrimination, even having their dogs killed for being the "wrong" breed. it's horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD
I had no idea a presa killed a woman... I'm surprised I never heard of that.
it happened in 2001 i think. the dog was originally identified as a pit bull, of course. it was a huge drama- drugs, aryan nation, alleged trained "attack dogs". there were two dogs (bane and hera), both with a history of aggression, living in a tiny apartment building with no exercise and no training. google "diane whipple". there's a lot of info out there. it's such a sad story.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
LabBreeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever
Your just mad because your breed was involved . Why does the pitbull have to stay in the spotlight? You feel so strongly about this, imagine how the pitbull owners feel.
Ya big goober! I've seen the reports on labs, chis, doxies, all kinds of breeds. I've witnessed doxies (in my neighborhood) being more agressive than any pit I've ever met. As a child I was bitten by a chow that was left to roam around the neighborhood. I'm more worried about chows than pits. With all the dogs roaming the neighborhood now, I don't know which one's to worry about....besides the doxies and one mix that lives next door (she was off leash, no collar, owner was outside; walked up to me and my Labs, sniffed, then bared her teeth; by then the owner was standing over her and had grabbed her scruff and drug her off. they still let her off leash w/ out a collar )

Sadly, all I can do is imagine how they feel. I've seen the videos about banning and cry every time, but that doesn't change what may happen. No breed needs to be in the spotlight...well, not in a bad spotlight at least.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
it happened in 2001 i think. the dog was originally identified as a pit bull, of course. it was a huge drama- drugs, aryan nation, alleged trained "attack dogs". there were two dogs (bane and hera), both with a history of aggression, living in a tiny apartment building with no exercise and no training. google "diane whipple". there's a lot of info out there. it's such a sad story.
It is sad and very sick what happened to those dogs inside that apartment its also sad what happened to Diane Whipple, very sad..