Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
Just curious why you consider a Terrier a working breed?
i wouldnt say tht all terriers were officially a working dog but most were bred for a purpose,

e.g: border terriers were bred with a gait capable of following a horse so tht they could follow a horse on hunting trips, then they were trained to go down the hole and retrieve the prey, which could be a rabbit or a fox. There not a working breed in the sense of a border collie or a beagle but most were bred for a purpose, many dogs from working lines (like my harley) still have a very high prey dive and no fear of holes.
thats just an example of a terrier working but in the case of mach1girl i dont no how a pit bull terrier is a working breed but i no some terriers are lol

Old 06-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

American Pitbull Terriers were bred to work, although in todays society, THAT type of "work" is out of the question. (Thank GOD) However, working the APBT is still the dogs main purpose, whether it be catch dogs, or common PPT (Which is mostly AB, but does apply to the APBT as well) to weight pull. They are a working dog,, and besides "show" they possess a tremendous amount of drive and endurance, determination, etc...............all traits of the working background from which they come from.

BESIDES~~~This thread is not about ME, it is about this chick and her puppies, and I'd appreciate it if it stayed on topic!

Old 06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Love my pets

So happy for you. I'm looking forward to seeing the little ones.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview
None of the above. Alaskan Huskies are a type of sled dog. They are not a registered breed of dog.

http://www.cabelasiditarod.com/dogs.html
Well I haven't read all and this as far as I can see has gone way off topic, a dog that isn't registered is recognized as a cross! I should know I bred JRTs, here they are thought of as crosses elsewhere they are registered
Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 PM
LabBreeder

Where are JRT's not a breed?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl
I have only whelped one litter ever, that being my first and last!However, after being there from beginning to end, I would never whelp a litter outside for any reason~Ok, maybe if my house burned down. It is a long, nasty, wet process, that can get even nastier if mixed with dirt/mud/mulch/leaves/fleas, etc..
My puppy yard was concrete and shaded, with 4 foot walls on each side in addition to the chain link. Outdoor sanitation isn't that hard if you have the right setup. I raised foster litters and my mentors' litters outside and never lost one.

Well, I have lost one puppy, but not from being outside. He was limp from seizuring shortly after receiving his first vaccine, and Cornell euthanized him.

On the topic, I have his brother - Archie. Do any of you know whether or not vaccine reactions are linked to anything genetically or is it just random?

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
a dog that isn't registered is recognized as a cross!
"Alaskan Husky" is a term for the generic racing sled dog. There's everything behind those dogs. It's no specific cross or mix.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 06-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl
American Pitbull Terriers were bred to work, although in todays society, THAT type of "work" is out of the question. (Thank GOD) However, working the APBT is still the dogs main purpose, whether it be catch dogs, or common PPT (Which is mostly AB, but does apply to the APBT as well) to weight pull. They are a working dog,, and besides "show" they possess a tremendous amount of drive and endurance, determination, etc...............all traits of the working background from which they come from.

BESIDES~~~This thread is not about ME, it is about this chick and her puppies, and I'd appreciate it if it stayed on topic!
Well, if you look at it that way EVERY dog breed is a working dog. All were created for a purpose.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabBreeder
Where are JRT's not a breed?
Pretty much everywhere. The AKC recognizes the Parsons Russel Terrier, but not the Jack Russel Terrier, because of how varied the dogs can be. Smooth coat, broken coat, short legged, long legged...so it's still a breed, but it's not recognized. I'm still not 100% clear on the difference between the PRT and the JRT, but oh well.

Congrats on the puppies!!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:52 AM
LabBreeder

zoom - I never even looked to see if AKC recognized them or not. lol CKC does though.

*We need pics of the puppies btw*