We have PUPPIES!!!!

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
Starting at 7:30 this morn, Snowy had her first pup. A hefty little thing at 18 oz. From there on, we had a pup about every half hour for a total of SIX!!! We have 4 females, and 2 males. 1 is white and cream like mom, 2 look almost excactly like dad (Ranger), and 3 look like their aunt Aurora. (Snowy is the white dog in my avatar, Ranger is the black/white one with the black stripe down his nose, and Aurora is the gray/white one). Mom is taking a well deserved nap and pups are filing thier bellies. And yes, everyone is inside.

bubbatd

Yippy !!!! Thanks for letting us know !!! All's well that ends well !! Now pictures !

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
Ok, I will have puppy pics by the end of the week (I really need to get a digital camera) I got some better pics of the relatives then my avatar:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/cryptic07/Dogs/Snowy.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/cryptic07/Dogs/Ranger.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/cryptic07/Dogs/Aurora.jpg
Yes, we are going to the vet Thursday. We did have an appt. today, but we decided to move it.
YES, we will be spaying her. We were going to have her spayed about 6 weeks after we got her, but the day is was suppose to go in, she was halfway through her heat. Me, not wanting to take extra chances in surgery, decided to cancel it. Well, guess what happened? The pups we keep are going to be spayed/nuetured, and the pups we give away, we will require spaying/neutring as part of the "adoption contract". One thing about it, if I did plan to breed her, it was the breeding I would have done anyway.
Thanks again everyone!

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
dogstarsleddogs said:
And yes, everyone is inside.
They're sled dogs. Why make a point that they're inside? We raised Alaskan Husky pups outside in Minnesota in February. I personally wouldn't whelp/raise sled dogs inside. To each their own, I just don't get why you made a point of saying they were inside. Good luck with the pups.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Well, I have to say for once I see that some experienced people gave out poor advice. Sled dogs live outside. Sled dogs whelp outside. Puppies are raised outside. Moving a sled dog inside to whelp and raise a litter will do nothing but stress her and most likely overheat her. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a working dog that lives outside whelping outside and raising the litter there. I worked for a couple Iditarod kennels and we whelped/raised their litters outside and never had a problem, never lost a pup. Had my breeding taken, my bitch and pups would have remained outside. I know most of the folks here have pets and show dogs, and I've got to say - working dogs are different. Sled dogs particularly. I wish you all hadn't convinced this poor girl to take her outdoor dogs inside for this endeavour. Anyhow, hope it goes well for her and the poor mama dog who is most likely quite confused about being inside.

Saje

Island dweller
Looks like that's a matter of opinion. Personally I don't breed but I tend to trust scarlette since she's a third (?) generation musher/breeder and raises her huskies, malamutes and chinook in Northern Canada. But I can see your points.

Fran27

I wouldn't know about that... I know love4pits breeds sled dogs also, and she still whelps inside. As long as everything is going well, I don't think it's such a problem...

Either way, really glad everyone is doing ok!

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
If a musher chooses to whelp their sled dogs indoors, they've most likely let the bitch acclimate to being indoors prior to the breeding/pregnancy/whelping. But the OP's dog seems to have been an outdoor dog up until these last few days. I feel changing the situation at this time wouldn't be best for the bitch. JME/JMO.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Well - what's done is done.

I am sure you could have added your thoughts to the convo, but it is too late now for that.

Important thing, mum and pups are healthy.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Dizzy said:
I am sure you could have added your thoughts to the convo, but it is too late now for that.
Yes, unfortunately I can't find the time to sit here day in and day out and religiously read the threads. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.