Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalvr32
I just feel like such a failure. He is such a good pup.
I dont expect him to be trained now I just wanted advice on how to get him to let me know he has to go.
He also growls and tries to nip if he is playing or in a crazy mood when I try to put him back into his kennel.
I want him to be a great dog and I just feel I dont know how to do this.
Thanks so much.
If you want him to tell you when he has to go, hang a bell on or near the door where you will let him out. EVERY TIME you take him out ring the bell with his paws and say "Go Outside". I was very surprised at how my boys just got that when they want out all they have to do is ring the bell.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

I'd never thought of that idea mamasobuco! That's really clever!

Hades usually whimpers softly, or just runs to the door. Roxy'll bark and jump around.

For the OP, I think what you should focus on is just getting him to go outside as much as possible and rewarding it. With him still being so young that means you just have to get him and you into the habit of going out a LOT!

Your pup is still very, very young. I wouldn't worry too much yet. Just focus on getting him outside! And praise! Keep it light and happy, negative reinforcement IMO does nothing but worsen the housebreaking situation.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD
I'd never thought of that idea mamasobuco! That's really clever!
Thanks Roxy's CD. The first time Buddy rang the bell to go outside was the single most rewarding moment I've had with any of my dogs from childhood until now. They even use the bell when they want to go out and play.
animalvr32-Don't feel like a failure. Every dog takes a different amount of time to be potty trained. Just take the advise on this board, be consistant and stick with it. Your baby will get it in his own time.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

Toby stands by the door when he needs to go. I didn't teach him to, he just started to do it on his own.

I imagine that with time your dog will start a similar kind behavior.